Council for International Education
Meetings 2016 - 2017
- October 12 , 2016
- November 2 , 2016
- December 7 , 2016
- February 1 , 2017
- March 1 , 2017
- April 5 , 2017
- May 3 , 2017
Time: 3 - 4 pm
Place: Stipes 207
The Council for International Education (CIE) serves as the Western Illinois University Faculty Senate’s representative body to assist undergraduate students, faculty, and administration in attaining a credible international education environment that fosters the understanding, knowledge, and skills necessary for life within a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.
- Approved Global Issues Courses
- Approved Departmental Plans for Meeting FLGI Requirement
- Policies and Procedures
- Sample General Education Global Issues Proposal (Econ 351)
- Sample General Education Global Issues Syllabus (Econ 357)
- Sample Short-Term Study Abroad Proposal (Hist 379- Belfast)
- Sample Short-Term Study Abroad Syllabus (Hist 379- Belfast)
Approval Procedures (New or Revised International Education Undergraduate Courses and Curricula):
- This Council is an intermediate step in the university approval process for new or revised international education undergraduate courses, or curricula. As such, the Council considers only such matters that pertain to international education.
- This Council does not circumvent the Council on Curricular Programs and Instruction (CCPI) requirements or the Council on General Education (CGE).
Any party requesting international education status for new or revised undergraduate courses or curricula must submit their documents to this Council. This Council will examine the documents ONLY to determine if the requirements for international education are met.
For approval, the Council must be provided with 12 copies (uncollated if more than one document is submitted per request) of all course or curricula originations or modifications. The documents will be placed before the Council for review by sending the copies to the Faculty Senate Office, Stipes Hall #323.A simple majority of voting members present at the meeting will determine whether or not a document is to be recommended for approval or rejected.
CIE consists of thirteen members (eleven voting) including nine faculty members (two from each college and one from the library) appointed by the Faculty Senate, two students (one study abroad student and one international student), and two ex-officio members from the Center of International Studies. Faculty appointments are for three years. Preference will be given to faculty and students with international education experience.
Chair, 2016-2017: Chandra Amaravadi, Computer Sciences
- Chandra Amaravadi, Computer Sciences
- Pedro Bidegaray, Center for International Studies (ex-officio member)
- Davison Bideshi, Sociology and Anthropology
- Georg Gunzenhauser, Educational Studies
- Jeff Hancks, Malpass Library
- Boh Young Lee, Curriculum and Instruction
- Rafael Obregon, Engineering Technology
- Michael Murray, Broadcasting and Journalism
- Yong Tang, Broadcasting and Journalism