ResNet (Residence Hall Network)
ResNet currently provides up to 3 Gbps for internet access, as well as network & technical support to students who wish to connect their computer systems to the WIU network and reside in residence halls and graduate & family housing.
- Connecting your computer
- Status and Upgrades
- For assistance contact the Support Center at (309) 298-2704
ResNet Internet connection increased from 2 Gbps - 3 Gbps:
uTech Network Team has been working on increasing the available bandwidth for the ResNet Internet connection. At this time the ResNet Internet connection has been increased from 2 Gbps [Giga bits per second], also known as 2048 Mbps, to 3 Gbps.
Online Help 24/7
Western's Knowledgebase is online help available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Search from thousands of answers about computer technology, software, and more.
uTech provides a full-time ResNet Manager who will work with the ResNet student workers and full-time UT staff to maintain the ResNet environment and
First level support consisting of
- general computer or network connection support
- general technology inquiries through the Help Desk
- student ResNet workers for connecting a personal computer to ResNet and accessing Internet resources
When necessary, issues will be escalated to second and third level support for advanced troubleshooting of network related issues.
Levels of Support
ResNet has a goal of being able to provide 85% of requested support within the following impact and time guidelines.
Severity Level 1 (Catastrophic) - e.g., no access to the Internet or campus resources for all residence halls
- Service Response time of 30-60 minutes
Severity Level 2 (Urgent) - e.g., no access to the Internet or campus resources for one entire residence hall
- Service Response time of 1-2 hours
Severity Level 3 (Significant) - e.g., several users unable to access Internet resources
- Service Response time of 4-8 hours
Severity Level 4 (Limited) - e.g., individual user problem
- Service Response time of 1-2 days, however, this is dependent upon the availability of the user for call back and support.
Supported by ResNet Technicians
- Software that connects to the Internet (Instant messengers, Email, etc.)
- Web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
- Network card installation
- Spyware removal
- Switch support
- Virus removal
Sorry, our ResNet technicians cannot support the following:
- Hardware (monitors, printers, mice, etc.)
- Other software (MS Word, Photoshop, etc.)
- Computers that will not boot into safemode