Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Featuring over 550 computers for student use, each lab contains networked PC (Windows 7) and Macintosh (OS 10.7) computers.
All computers provide high speed access to the Internet, include CD/DVD burners and USB ports, including the most commonly needed software applications, discipline-specific software, and access to double-sided laser printing.
WIU-Quad Cities also operates its own full-service lab for students on the WIU-Quad Cities campus.
Note that departments also operate some of their own labs which are specific to their discipline and are not maintained or supported by uTech unless requested.
uTech staffed computer labs are located in primary campus locations. These labs have trained student personnel on duty to provide technical assistance.
uTech Academic Building Labs -
General semester hours;
Mon-Thu 7:30 am-11 pm
Fri 7:30 am-4 pm (to 6pm last 4 weeks of semester)
Sat 9am-4 pm (to 6pm last 4 weeks of semester)
- Horrabin Hall Complex, rooms 72, 75, 77
- Memorial Hall 046
- Morgan Hall, room 124, 126
- Stipes Hall, rooms 307, 331
uTech Residence Hall Labs
- Higgins Hall, 1st floor
- Lincoln/Washington/Grote Halls (Grote Hall 109)
- North Quad (Tanner Hall 216 & 217)
- Olson Hall 110
Unstaffed Computing Resource Centers (CRCs)
CRCs are smaller labs and are distributed across campus in most buildings to provide easy access for students, faculty, and staff. Please note that the CRCs are opened and closed by their managing academic department, and with the exception of the Malpass Library and University Union, are generally open weekdays from 8am-4:30pm, when classes are in session.
- Brophy Hall 115
- Browne Hall 107
- Currens Hall 301
- Knoblauch Hall 107
- Malpass Library (1st & 3rd floors)
- Sallee Hall 108
- Stipes Hall 126
- Tillman Hall 413
- Union Food Court
- Waggoner Hall 110
- Writing Center (Library 3rd)
uTech Computer Lab Software
All uTech lab computers have a variety of software pre-installed, including basic word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and desktop publishing software. In addition, they have imaging and statistical software pre-installed, as well as a wide variety of discipline specific software available. The basic PC and Macintosh software installed on the desktops are listed below. Specialized software is available in the Horrabin Hall 72 lab. In addition, discipline specific software is also indicated.
PC Software - General
Microsoft Office 2010
- Access, Excel, Picture Manager, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Word
- Firefox, Secure Key (Putty), Internet Explorer, Secure FTP, Secure Telnet (Putty), UXB (telnet), XWin32
- Acrobat Reader X, AIM Express, Audacity, iTunes, Open Office, QuickTime Player, Roxio, SAS 9.3, SPSS 20, STARS on the Web, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Sketchup
Macintosh Software - General
Microsoft Office 2011
- Communicator, Excel, Microsoft Messenger, PowerPoint, Word
- Firefox, iWeb, Safari
- Acrobat Reader, Adium Messenger, Dictionary, DVD Player, Expose', Flip4Mac, Garage Band, iCal, iChat, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, PASW Statistics (SPSS 20), Photo Booth, Preview, QuickTime Player, Stuffit, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Special Macintosh Software - Only in Horrabin 72 Lab
Adobe Creative Suite (CS5.5)
- Acrobat Pro, Bridge, Device Central, OnLocation, Premiere Pro, Contribute, Dreamweaver, Encore, Extension Manager, Fireworks, Illustrator, InDesign, Media Encoder, Photoshop,
- Adobe Captivate, Game Salad Creator, Maya, Scratch, Strata 3D CX, Jing, Lectora Professional Publishing (Windows7 OS)
Department and Class Specific Software
- Biology - CaseIt, ChromasLite, R
- Computer Science - jGRASP (C, C++, Java, VHDL), PSPad, Stu-MVS Secure, VNC Viewer, xna, MySQL Workbench, LP Solve, Zscreen
- Economics - MiniTab
- Engineering Technology - AutoCAD 2013, Autodesk (3ds MAX Design, Inventor Professional, Revit Architecture)
- Mathematics - Compass, Mathmatica, Matlab, RWeb
- Psychology - GPower, StatView
- WESL (Western's English as Second Language) - Audacity, Longman, Spelling Fusion, VLC