Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Government and legal information available at WIU on related topics:
Books & Manuscripts
- Search these Library of Congress subject headings in
, the library's online catalog:
- Tips: Use the Quick Search option and enter the terms below in the search box and select Subject as the search.
- retail trade
- economics and
- capital market
- psychological aspects
- religious aspects
- international economic relations
- business management
- industrial management
- consolidation and merger of corporations
- Use the Quick Search option and enter economic?, entrepreneurship or corporations in the search box and select Any Word Anywhere as the search.
- Use the Advance Search option and search "business management" or "international economic relations" as phrases.
- If you are having trouble finding material on your topic, try searching I-Share (through WestCat ), a database of the catalogs of over 70 Illinois libraries or WorldCat , a database of library catalogs from all over the world.
- Any book you find which we don't have may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
- Try searching OpenCRS to find Congressional Research Reports on your topic.
- Search the database ABI/INFORM
- Search the database Business Source Elite
- Search the database International Financial Statistics.
- Search the database Lexis-Nexis Academic.
- Search the database Regional Business News.
- Search the database Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage.
- Search the database Value Line Investment Survey.
- Search the database CCH Tax Research Network.
- Search the multi-disciplinary databases, like Academic Search Premier and InfoTrac .
- Search LexisNexis (Legal tab) and Westlaw Campus for full-text law review articles.
- Make sure WIU doesn't have access to articles you find in databases that don't make all articles available full-text by searching the Periodicals Holdings List for the journal title. The PHL contains full-text e-titles purchased by WIU Libraries, and print/microform periodicals shelved in the Libraries.
- Any article you find to which we don't have access may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
Statistics and Reports
- The Obama Administration's website concerning the Recovery Act. Follow the money, look for opportunities for grants and loans, or report abuse and fraud.
- GAO Reports
- These reports from the Government Accountability Office cover all sorts of angles related to their topics.
- TARP and Problems in Financial Markets
- Business Regulation and Consumer Protection
- Economic Development
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Economic Census 2007, 2002, 1997, 1992
- Look here for the latest comprehensive economic data, reports are now available for all geographic areas and all sectors.
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- This agency compiles statistics for the Department of Commerce. The information includes personal income and employment, gross domestic product by state, consumer spending, and corporate profits.
- County Business Patterns
- Interactive! Employment, wage, and establishment data for both states and counties is presented here. CBP 1977-1997 and 1998-2001 (NAICS). Find the latest reports here along with Zip Code Business Patterns and Metro Business Patterns.
- Economic Indicators (104th Congress - 1995 forward)
- Printed for the use of the Joint Economic Committee, this monthly report has statistics on GDP, federal finance, personal consumption, investment, etc., for April 1995 forward.
- Economic Report of the President
- This annual report contains tables of economic statistics on GDP, GNP, employment/unemployment, federal budget info, and business statistics.
- International Trade Administration
- This site has information on trade statistics and industries. Also get trade leads for specific industries, information on public/private partnerships and trade associations.
- National Income & Products Accounts, 1930 forward
- This site provides interactive access to tables of national product & income; personal income & outlays; government receipts & expenditures; foreign transactions; income, employment, and product by industry; saving and investment; and quantity and price indexes.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- This site has loads of occupational information including outlooks for specific occupations and sources for career information.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Data Page
- This page provides the most requested statistics, allows one to customize data, and more. For more specific information about both the Consumer Price Index and Producer Price Index, scroll down the page.
- North American Industrial Classification System
- This system is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.
- Survey of Current Business
- The perennial favorite for timely economic data goes online. Sometimes requires Adobe Acrobat.
- Agricultural Statistics
- This site can be used to access statistics on agriculture production, supplies, consumption, facilities, cost, and returns.
- World Fact Book
- Cursory economic data for foreign countries including GDP, unemployment, imports/exports, budget, etc.
Websites for Businesses
- IRS Small Business Tax Guide
- This website is geared toward new businesses, offering information on how to start a business, tax assistance, hiring employees, employer identification numbers, and much more.
- Small Business Administration Website
- This website includes information on starting, expanding, or financing a business. Included is online instruction on business plans, raising capital for your business, and building your business.
- Employment and Training Administration
- Find here tips on locating qualified employees and government programs to enhance workforce development.
- SSA Services for Employers and Businesses
- Information and resources for employers. All you need to know about Social Security and wage reporting; inlcudes forms and publications.
- IRS's Tax Info for Business
- Info on starting and operating a small business as well as insights into employee retirement accounts. Included also is a listing of business oriented tax publications and forms.
- Minority Business Development Agency
- View information on Federal programs to encourage minority business ownership.
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Need to patent your invention? or find out if someone else owns a patent on it already? or maybe you need to register your trademark? You can start your research here and even download forms and find info on patent and trademark fees.
- All you need to know about exporting, including federal regulations and licensing requirements.
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- All the info you need to start or expand a business in Illinois, including financial assistance, permits & licenses, community profiles, training/locating workers; more.
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic
- Civil War (U.S.)
- Constitutional Issues
- Foreign Affairs
- Illinois History
- Illinois Sites
- Indigenous Peoples
- McDonough County
- Social Issues
- Substance Abuse