Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Government and legal information available at WIU on related topics:
AGENCIES | STATISTICS | FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS | CHARTER SCHOOLS | SCHOOL VIOLENCE | HOME SCHOOLING | MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS OF INTEREST
- Department of Education
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- Illinois State Board of Education
- Illinois Board of Higher Education
- Illinois Community College Board
- Education Finance Statistics Center
- School District Demographics
- Provides acess to school district geographic and demographic data useful for describing and analyzing characteristics of school districts, children, and K-12 education
- Digest of Education Statistics
- A compilation of statistical information covering the broad field of American education from kindergarten through graduate school. The Digest includes over 400 tables from many different data sources.
- The Condition of Education
- This compendium volume has moved to the web for increased browseability. The focus of this annual report is on the effectiveness of the education system.
- The Nation's Report Card
- Find out how students are doing across the country in areas such as math, science, and the arts.
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Here you can create your own statistical tables, compare institutions by variables of your choice, and download data.
- ERIC-Sponsored Internet Access to the ERIC Database
- This is a chart of the various sites housing ERIC databases that allows you to quickly decide which site will best suit your needs.
- ERIC Search via FirstSearch (WIU Only)
- Search a database of thousands of documents including journal articles, books, theses, curriculi, etc. Not full text.
- Data Book of Higher Education
- The entire document is available in PDF format. Information concerning higher education in Illinois including: students, majors, staff, financial aid, appropriations, etc.
For College Students
- Financial Aid for Students Home Page
- Everything the college student needs to know about financial aid all in one place.
- College Navigator
- Find the right college for you, by using this online service provided by the U.S. Dept. of Education.
- Illinois State Board of Education - Charter Schools
- All the info you could want on charter schools in Illinois.
- Charter School Program
- This is the Department of Education's page on charter schools.
- Early Warning, Timely Response: A Guide to Safe Schools
- Illinois Attorney General Safe to Learn Home Page
- Indicators of School Crime & Safety, 2011
- Youth Violence Prevention
- Crime, Violence, Discipline, and Safety in U.S. Public Schools, Findings from the School Survey on Crime and Safety: 2005-06
- Understanding School Violence Fact Sheet (2008)
- Homeschooling in the United States: 2003 Statistical Analysis Report
- This report provides statistics concerning homeschooling, including reasons parents give for choosing to homeschool, the types of resources used, and the educational attainment of the parents.
- Home Schooling in the United States: Trends and Characteristics
- This report from the Census Bureau looks at different types of characteristics of homeschoolers collected from past surveys and assesses the impact homeschooling has had on the education system.
Miscellaneous Items of Interest
- Online Newsletters & Journals from the Department of Education
- Link to education journals from this list.
- A Back to School Report on the Baby Boom Echo - No End in Sight
- A report on preparing for the sustained increase in K-12 enrollment.
- (IDEA) Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments
- Federal laws, regulations, and Federal Register Notices pertaining to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments.
- Ben's Guide to U.S. Government for Kids
- This guide has information about how our government is organized and how it works written for kids at different grade levels from kindergarten through high school. Games and activities are available on the site as well as links to other government sites for kids.
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic
- Civil War (U.S.)
- Constitutional Issues
- Foreign Affairs
- Illinois History
- Illinois Sites
- Indigenous Peoples
- McDonough County
- Social Issues
- Substance Abuse