Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
AGENCIES | ALZHEIMERS | MEDICARE | PUBLICATIONS | RESOURCES | STATISTICS | LEGAL MATERIALS | SUBJECT GUIDES
Book & Manuscript Tips
- Search these Library of Congress subject headings in
, the library's online catalog:
- Tips: Use the Quick Search option and enter the terms below in the search box and select Subject as the search.
- old age
- old age assistance
- older people
- elder abuse
- elderly poor
- social security
- older driver
- power of attorney
- assisted living
- Use the Quick Search option and enter aging, ageing or elder? in the search box and select Any Word Anywhere as the search.
- Use the Advance Search option and search "Older Americans Act" or "Social Security" as phrases.
- If you are having trouble finding material on your topic, try searching I-Share (through WestCat ), a database of the catalogs of over 70 Illinois libraries or WorldCat , a database of library catalogs from all over the world.
- Any book you find which we don't have may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
- Try searching OpenCRS to find Congressional Research Reports on your topic.
- Search the database CQ Researcher
- Search the database Sociological Abstracts.
- Search the database Social Services Abstracts.
- Search the multi-disciplinary databases, like Academic Search Premier and InfoTrac .
- Search LexisNexis (Legal tab) and Westlaw Campus for full-text law review articles.
- Make sure WIU doesn't have access to articles you find in databases that don't make all articles available full-text by searching the Periodicals Holdings List for the journal title. The PHL contains full-text e-titles purchased by WIU Libraries, and print/microform periodicals shelved in the Libraries.
- Any article you find to which we don't have access may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
- Administration on Aging
- Agency for Health Care Research and Quality
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- National Institute on Aging
- Social Security Administration
- Illinois Department on Aging
- Department of Health and Human Services' Aging page
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
Alzheimer's Disease Info
- Alzheimer's Disease: Unraveling the Mystery
- 2010 Alzheimer’s Disease Progress Report: A Deeper Understanding
- Early Alzheimer's Disease: Patient and Family Guide
- Early Alzheimer's Disease: Recognition and Assessment
- Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke press releases
- FASTATS on Alzheimer's Disease
- Alzheimer's Disease from Medline Plus' Medical Encyclopedia
- The Healthy Brain Initiative: a National Public Health Road Map to Maintaining Cognitive Health
Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security & Other Legal Info
- The official government Medicare website. Information on nursing homes; medicare plan choices; claims and appeals; publications and much more.
- Medigap Policy Basics
- Explanation of Medigap policy and assistance in determination of whether or not it is right for you.
- Social Security (SSA.gov)
- From becoming insured to survivor's benefits to filing a claim, this is the essential guide to Social Security.
- Full text of the Older Americans Act (courtesy of Cornell U.)
- Title 42 U.S. Code Chapter 35 complete.
- Proceedings of the Aging Americans: Impacts on Ecology and Environmental Quality Workshop (EPA)
- The papers compiled into this report look at the issues surrounding the way resources will be affected by the aging of the population.
- Consumer Health Information
- This is a nice list of online publications from the National Institutes of Health.
- Talking With Your Doctor: A Guide for Older People (NIA)
- This guide provides elders with some issues to consider when choosing a doctor and/or discussing their health.
- Menopause: Time for a Change (NIA)
- What is menopause?...what can I expect?...how do I keep myself healthy? Answers to these questions and more.
Resources & Directories
- Eldercare Locator (DHHS)
- This directory assistance service puts you in touch with services for older Americans in your community (or theirs).
- Health & Aging Organizations Directory (NIA)
- This directory contains names, addresses, and phone/FAX numbers of organizations which provide information and other resources on matters relevant to the needs of older persons. Browse directory by category or view alphabetical listing of links
- State and Area Agencies on Aging (AOA)
- This is a directory by state of all state agencies on aging with hyperlinks where possible.
- USA.gov for Seniors
- This listing of resources is from the official search engine of U.S. government.
- Hospital Compare (DHHS)
- This site provided by Health and Human Services allows you find and compare hospitals anywhere in the U.S.
- Nursing Home Compare (DHHS)
- This site provided by Health and Human Services allows you find and compare nursing homes anywhere in the U.S.
- Home Care Services
- This page from Medline Plus links to all kinds of government pages with tips and ideas on keeping older people in their homes.
- Tax Guide for Seniors (IRS)
- This IRS Publication covers tax issues particular to seniors, such as retirement plans, Social Security, life insurance proceeds and sickness and injury benefits.
Statistics on Older Americans
- State of Aging and Health in America (CDC)
- This report documents the success of health programs targeting Americans 65-and-over and discusses ideas for improving quality of life.
- Older Americans 2012: Key Indicators of Well-being
- The statistics in this report cover nearly every aspect of health and life, from air quality to out-of-pocket health expenditures.
- Time Use by Older Americans
- This document from the Bureau of Labor Statistics describes the results of a survey of older Americans on how they use their time.
- Income and Poverty Among Older Americans in 2008
- The title of this report from the Congressional Research Service says it all.
- Topics in Aging: Income of Americans Age 65 and Older, 1969 to 2004
- The report from the Congressional Research Service is full of data and data projections concerning the aging of the U.S. Population and its impact on the federal budget and the economy.
- A Profile of Older Americans (AOA)
- The latest statistics on older Americans in 11 key subject areas.
- Crimes Against Persons Age 65 or Older, 1993-2002
- This report contains statistics on crime victims by age group, and details certain crimes which seem to have older people as targets.
- 65+ in the United States: 2005
- This statistical report includes data on longevity and health, economic characteristics, geographic distribution, and social characteristics.
- Advising Elderly Clients and Their Families
- This practice guide covers retirement benefits, Medicare, powers of attorney, guardianship, planning for disability, nursing homes, grandparents' rights, elder abuse and tax planning.
LEGLREF. KFI 1291.A3 A38 2008
- Planning for Incapacity : a Self-Help Guide, Advance Directive Forms for Illinois
- This guide covers the Health-Care Power of Attorney and living wills.
LEGLREF. KFI 390.A4 P43 1992
- Guardianship for Disabled Adults, Advance Directives, and Mental Health Law
LEGLREF. KFI 1306 .A944 2011
WIU Libraries is now a PTRC!
Browse by Topic
- Civil War (U.S.)
- Constitutional Issues
- Foreign Affairs
- Illinois History
- Illinois Sites
- Indigenous Peoples
- McDonough County
- Social Issues
- Substance Abuse