- If indoors, seek refuge in a doorway or under a desk or table. Stay away from glass windows, shelves, and heavy equipment.
- During an earthquake, exit the building ONLY AFTER THE SHAKING HAS STOPPED.
- If outdoors, move away from utility poles and buildings. Always avoid power or utility lines as they may be live.
- After the initial shock, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is necessary, call OPS at (309) 298-1949.
- Report damaged facilities to OPS.
NOTE: Gas leaks and power failures create special hazards. Please refer to the "Utility Failure" section.
- After shaking has stopped, if individuals cannot exit the building using the stairs, they should proceed to an Area of Safe Refuge to await further assistance.
- If a fire breaks out, do not use the elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected buildings. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested, assist OPS.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless instructed to do so by OPS.