Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The IRB is organized under the Provost and Academic Vice President in the Office of Sponsored Projects. The IRB acts according to policies set forth by the United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) that relate to the ethical standards of research involving human subjects (45 CFR 46). Every five years, or as needed, the IRB files a federal wide assurance with the Office of Human Research Protection (OHRP) that ensures that WIU is adhering to the federal guidelines as outlined by HHS. Compliance with these federal regulations not only safeguards human subjects and the institution sponsoring the research project, but also protects the researcher.
- Researcher's Guide and Forms
- Preparing the Informed Consent
- Waiver of Documentation of Consent
- Waiver or Alteration of the Requirements for Obtaining Informed Consent
- Post Approval Monitoring (PAM) Policy
The charge of the IRB is to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects participating in research. The IRB is responsible for reviewing and monitoring all research that involves the participation of human subjects to ensure that research investigators are supporting the institution’s mission to engage in ethical conduct of scientific inquiry.
The membership of the IRB, appointed by the Provost, is composed of eleven members representing WIU faculty, staff and administrators, and community representatives. The Chair is an experienced faculty member, appointed by and responsible to the Provost. The committee makes an effort to preserve diversity by appointing scientists, nonscientists, and representation from various areas of expertise. The committee makes an effort to safeguard research integrity by staying current with applicable laws and regulations and applying knowledge of special populations such as children, prisoners, or disabled persons.
These due dates apply only to protocols that involve enough risk to require a Full Board Review . All other protocols are reviewed on a rolling basis. If your protocol is selected for Full Board Review, you will be notified via email approximately a week before the meeting date.
IRB Meeting Info
Materials for Full Board Review are due to the Office of Sponsored Projects no later than 2 weeks prior to the meeting date .
Meeting times: 2:00 p.m.
Location: 322 Sherman Hall
- September 26, 2016- Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 9/12/2016.
- October 24, 2016- Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 10/10/2016.
- November 28, 2016-Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 11/14/2016.
- January 30, 2017-Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 1/16/2017.
- February 27, 2017-Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 2/13/2017.
- March 27, 2017-Materials to be submitted for Full Board Review no later than 3/13/2017.
- April 24, 2017- Materials to be submitted for review no later than 4/10/2017.
Summer meetings scheduled as needed.
If you have questions, please contact the Compliance Specialist via the following phone number and address or via e-mail at IRB@wiu.edu.
Western Illinois University
Sherman Hall 320
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455