Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Advancement & Public Services
Trademark Vendor & Manufacturer Guidelines
Use of Licensed Manufacturer
All products which utilize the word marks and/or logos of Western Illinois University must be produced by a licensed manufacturer, unless a written exception is granted in advance by the Trademark Licensing Administrator. Western Illinois University has retained the collegiate trademark management firm Licensing Resource Group (LRG) of Holland, Michigan, for management and administration of license agreements.
Letterhead and office supplies which are purchased for internal use by the University are exempt from royalties. Additional exceptions may be made under certain circumstances. It is the responsibility of the vendor or manufacturer to accurately document and record royalty exemptions as issued by the University.
The Trademark Licensing Administrator must approve all artwork and designs prior to production. The following standards will be used in approval of designs:
- Artwork is approved on a case-by-case basis.
- Products must display clearly identifiable "licensed marks." No hand-drawn or substitute logos will be allowed.
- Trademarked logos cannot be altered in any way.
- Word marks and logos cannot be used with the marks of any other profit or non-profit entity (i.e. schools, conferences, institutions, individuals, corporations, etc.) unless appropriate approvals are obtained from the owners of those trademarks or copyrights.
- No design can be associated with a company which would imply endorsement of the company's product or service.
- Use of the University's signature logo must adhere to Visual Identity Standards guidelines.
- When used in conjunction with departmental, college, or affiliated University agency logos, trademarked logos and word marks must be most prominent.
- Use of the University seal is restricted for use on official documents and selected executive gift products (i.e. President's stationery, name plates, letter openers, paper weights, awards, diploma frames, and items crafted of gold, silver, brass, or pewter) unless a written exception is granted by the Trademark Licensing Administrator. The seal may be used alone or with the words "Western Illinois University." No other symbols or designs may appear with or around the seal.
- The correct pantone colors must be used in all color designs. They are:
PMS 2607 (purple) and PMS 116 (yellow).
- Additional color considerations
- In order to maintain the integrity and consistency of the Rocky full-body image, allowable variations to the logo are restricted to include (1) changes involving specific NCAA intercollegiate varsity sports in which Western Illinois University participates or (2) modifications which reflect the mission and values of Western Illinois University. Such alterations will be considered on a case-by-case basis and prior approval is required by the Trademark Licensing Administrator. In addition, acceptable modifications must be created by either University Relations or Athletics Media Services.
The Trademark Licensing Administrator will consider products for approval based on the following:
- Products must be representative of high quality and good taste incorporating no subtle messages.
- No products considered dangerous or offensive will be approved. This includes products posing potential health risks or promoting drugs, alcohol, or tobacco.
- No products with an unusually high product liability risk will be approved.
- University Marketing Working Group
- Trademark Overview
Trademark Request Form
- Visual Identity Guidelines
- Official Logos/Wordmarks
Logo Creation Policy
- Table Drapes
- University Relations Media Guide
303B Sherman Hall
Phone: (309) 298-1868