WIU HR Offers Professional Supervisor Training Certificate Program
December 11, 2013
MACOMB, IL - - Don't just supervise; be a leader. Current supervisors and future supervisors are invited to participate in the Professional Supervisor Training Certificate Program, hosted by WIU Human Resources office, to brush up on and learn effective supervisory skills.
The employee development program will begin Spring 2014 and run through Summer 2014. Registration is encouraged. WIU employees are offered the chance to hear from dynamic and experienced facilitators in interactive sessions that will provide valuable theories, tips, techniques and networking among supervisors.
Six core sessions and two electives are required to complete the full certificate program.
• Leadership, presented by Jude Kiah, director of the WIU bookstore and Go West – 1-4 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 23 or Tuesday, Jan. 25 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Essential Skills of Communicating, presented by John J. Miller, communication associate professor – 1:15-4:15 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Conflict Resolution/Management, presented by Tracy Knight, psychology professor – 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday, March 18 in the Corbin Hall Conference Room.
• Delegating, presented by Carrie Belsito, management and marketing assistant professor – 9:15 a.m.-noon Wednesday, April 23 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Team Building, presented by Patrick Twomey, Macomb School District #185 superintendent – 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday, June 3 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Supervisory Topics and Resources Panel/Group Discussion, led by Jim DiTulio, University Counseling Center director; Rica Calhoun, Equal Opportunity and Access assistant director; Joanna Graham, health sciences instructor; Derek Watts, Office of Public Safety police sergeant and Anita Sells, human resource associate – 9 a.m.-noon Thursday, July 24 in the Multicultural Center ground level.
• Performance Evaluations, presented by Sells – 10-11:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 16 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Budget 101, presented by Matt Bierman, director of budget – 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Civil Service 101, presented by Diane Sayers, human resource associate and Stuart Clauson, human resources associate director – 9 a.m.-noon Thursday, Mach 27 in the Sherman Hall Third Floor Auditorium.
• Departmental Facebook, presented by Heather McMeekan, University Technology webmaster – 9:30-11:30 a.m. Thursday, April 10 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Corrective Action, presented by Pam Bowman, director of Human Resources – 9:30-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 21 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• The WIU Intern Program, presented by Katerina Dawson, assistant to the director of human resources – 9-10 a.m. Thursday, June 5 in the Facilities Management Training Room.
• Diversity, presented by Alphonso Simpson, African American studies professor -9 a.m.-noon Thursday, July 10 or Tuesday, July 15 in the University Union Sandburg Lounge.
For more information or to register, call Sharon Chenoweth at (309) 298-1971, email S-Chenoweth@wiu.edu or visit wiu.edu/vpas/human_resources/employee_development/training.php?type=supervisor.