Holiday Break Safety Tips
November 7, 2013
MACOMB, IL -- With the holidays approaching, the Office of Public Safety (OPS) and the Macomb Police Department (MPD) would like to remind University employees and students to guard personal property by locking offices, desks and room doors, as well as their vehicles and homes off campus, when leaving, even for a few moments, to avoid becoming the victim of a thief.
"Help us to help you from becoming a victim," said OPS Director Scott Harris.
The Macomb Police Department and Office of Public Safety would like to remind individuals residing off campus who may be leaving town for the holidays of the following safety tips:
• Take your valuables home. Laptops, music players, video game systems and televisions are the most commonly stolen items over break.
• Avoid leaving items in plain view in vehicles.
• Don't leave items (backpacks, purses, etc.) unattended.
• Make sure all doors and windows are locked. At off-campus residences, the most common entry point for a burglar is a side or rear window.
• Engrave your driver's license number on those valuable items that cannot be taken home. Through MPD's Operation ID, individuals can check out an engraver from the department (120 S. McArthur St.) from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, officers advise making a list of valuables, including the make, model, serial number or detailed description. Items with an engraved serial number are harder to sell/pawn, and a detailed description, including photos, may help police track down stolen items.
• Leave lights on in your residence and/or put them on a timer. If a residence looks like it is occupied, then a burglar may bypass it.
The Macomb Police Department and the Office of Public Safety will provide extra patrol near campus during holiday breaks.
To report suspicious activity or a burglary on campus, contact OPS at 298-1949; off-campus residents should contact MPD at 833-4505. For emergencies, dial 9-1-1.