Undergraduate Admissions

Transferring Your College Credits

Associate of Science and Associate of Arts Degrees

Students with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science from any regionally accredited college in the United States will enter Western with their University General Education requirements met and be guaranteed admission to Western. Additional credits from the AA or AS degree will count toward major requirements or serve as electives.

Course Equivalencies

Western Illinois University Accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions all over the country. How credits are transferred in are determined either by existing course articulation agreements or through department review for courses in certain disciplines.

In order to assist transfer students with this process we have the following resources:

Transferology - Through transferology students can see how courses transfer to WIU from the school that they are attending based on the information that we have in our system. Course equivalencies and planning guides are determined through Transferology's transfer articulation system. A course could have more than one equivalent depending upon the student's declared major at the time of transfer. If there is a school or a course that WIU does not show a match for students can send additional information to us in order for us to make a decision.

Getting Started with transferology

View course equivalencies or create an individualized planning guide for your selected degree plan.

Helpful Tips:
  • If you receive an error message, click on "NO".
  • For Iowa community college equivalencies, select SCC-Burlington Current if school is not listed
  • General education equivalency codes:
    • G1-communication skills
    • G2-natural sciences/mathematics
    • G3-social sciences
    • G4-humanities
    • G5-multicultural studies
    • G6-human well being
  • When searching for an equivalent on WIU’s Eng 180 and Eng 280, the first line will display NC (no credit). Please refer to the next entry where it will state the earned credit. These two courses require a C grade or better which triggers the "no credit" line first.
  • Be sure to watch for dates in parenthesis. If a course has this under it, those dates are when that equivalent is in effect.
Additional Resources
Transfer Guides

WIU has worked with state and local community colleges to create transfer planning guides for popular majors. If you do not see your program listed on the guide for your school please contact us and we will be happy to provide you with those courses.

2+2 Agreements & Transfer Pathways

These guides provide students in certain degree programs with a full breakdown of the degree from freshman through senior year. 2+2's & Transfer Pathway Guides are created by specific departments in cooperation with similar departments at community colleges

Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)

Phase I

The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) began in 1998 to assist students transferring general education course work between Illinois schools. The IAI General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) comprised of 37 to 41 semester hours is for students who are undecided about a major and which four-year school to attend. Students who transfer to Western Illinois University with IAI GECC (37-41 semester hours) verified on their official transcript will have met the University's General Education requirement. Students who have decided on a major should see below Phase II. If you have decided to transfer to WIU, you should consult the WIU catalog and talk to an admission counselor.

Phase II

IAI Majors identifies course work students in their first and second year would typically complete. This is for students who have decided on a major but are undecided about which four-year school to attend. Each major may recommend General Education course work to include in the IAI GECC and courses that may count in a specific major. If you have decided to transfer to Western Illinois University, you should consult the WIU catalog and talk to an admission counselor.

Participating IAI Majors

Reverse Transfer 

Reverse Transfer is a program designed for students who transferred from an Illinois public community college to WIU, but without earning their associate’s degree prior to transfer. Transfer students with at least 15 transferrable credit hours from a public community college in Illinois are eligible for reverse transfer consideration upon achieving junior standing from WIU (60 hours earned).

Still have Questions?