Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to view the answer.
- What is interlibrary loan (ILL)?
- Interlibrary loan, often referred to as ILL, is a service that allows one library to borrow materials that are owned by another library. It is intended to provide materials for scholarly research and to supplement classroom learning.
- What's the difference between My Account, I-Share and ILLiad?
- My Account is for material borrowed locally from WIU. I-Share is a group of academic libraries in the state of Illinois, of which WIU is a member. All members of I-Share use the same online catalog system, so requesting materials from I-Share is fast and direct. You can place your request in the I-Share online catalog without assistance from library staff. All users will need to create an account for I-Share before requests can be made for material. Materials requested through ILLiad are processed by ILL staff. All users must create a separate account for ILLIAD.
- How should I submit my interlibrary loan requests for books?
- Remember to always start your search for books or other circulating items in the WIU Library Catalog, then the I-Share catalog. Titles not found in either of these catalogs can be searched and requested using ILLiad.
- How should I submit my interlibrary loan requests for articles?
- Looking for journal articles? The library may already have access to the journal you need, either in print or online. Before submitting an ILL request, search for journal articles using SFX to see if the library has access to the journal you want.
- Who can use interlibrary loan? Are there charges for interlibrary loan?
- Interlibrary loan services are available free to faculty, students, and staff of the Western Illinois University. There are no charges for items returned on time and in good condition. However, there are charges applied for overdue or damaged items. Damage includes highlighting, writing, food/beverage stains, torn pages or broken spines. Read more in the library's Interlibrary Loan Policy.
- Where do I pick up my interlibrary loan material?
- You should pick up your interlibrary loan materials at the Access Services Main Desk at the WIU Macomb Campus or the WIU-Quad Cities Library for QC users. If you do not know where to pick up the material, or if you need to change the pickup location, contact the Interlibrary Loan department or other library staff at the contact listed above.
- What can I request through interlibrary loan?
- You may request books, movies, music, but please keep in mind that while you may request materials, some items are difficult to obtain. This includes, but is not limited to: software, audio/visual materials, books published prior to 1900, dissertations, maps, reference books, standardized tests and manuals.
- How long will it take to receive my interlibrary loan materials?
- Books requested through interlibrary loan can take 5-14 days to arrive, depending on availability and delivery methods. Articles requested through ILL can arrive in 3-10 days, depending on whether the file is received in an electronic format or photocopied and mailed.
- How will I know if my interlibrary loan items have arrived?
- You will receive an email when the items are available for pickup.
- How long may I keep interlibrary loan materials?
- Interlibrary loan items circulate according to the policy of the owning library. Interlibrary loan materials are rarely circulated for an entire semester.
- Where should I return interlibrary loan items?
- All interlibrary loan items should be returned to the Circulation Desk, book drop, or at the any one of the University Library locations.
- How can I renew items or check due dates?
- Please refer to ILL renewals.
- I have borrowed an interlibrary loan item and I am getting emails asking me to return the item. I still need it, what should I do?
- The owning library can recall an item at any time. When you receive an email notifying you of a recall, the notification email will have a specific date that you can return the item by without penalty. If you do not return the item promptly, you can be subject to replacement and processing fees determined by the lending institution, your library borrowing privileges will be blocked, and in some cases a hold will be placed on your WIU Student account. A hold placed against your account will prevent registration and can prevent the release of your diploma or transcripts. Return the item promptly upon recall and place a new ILL request. For more information, please refer to the library's Interlibrary Loan Policy.
- My ILL request was cancelled -- what should I do?
- Your request may have been cancelled for a number of reasons. In I-Share you can view the status of your request through "My Account" (provide link). If your request has been cancelled you can resubmit your request through ILLiad (provide link). In ILLiad your email will state the reason for the cancellation. If you have any questions you may contact ILL staff.
- What if I forgot my ILLiad password?
- Contact ILL staff.
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about Interlibrary Loan Services?
- The Access Services Desk or ILL staff can help you if you are unable to create an account, have questions, or issues. If you have a question about a request you have already submitted, or have a problem with your account, contact the ILL department directly at 309-298-2761.