Distance Education: ILL Services
The University Library's Interlibrary Loan (ILL) unit provides a variety of services to help distance learners gain access to books, articles, and other resources. The following information provides an overview of ILL services, policies and limitations for WIU-registered distance learners.
Electronic Form Requests
WIU Distance Learners should use these forms when requesting books, photocopies of articles, or making renewal requests.
ILL Policies for Distance Learners
Qualifying for Distance Education Services
- Affiliated users who may use this service are: current employees of WIU, retired faculty and staff of WIU, and active students enrolled exclusively in online WIU courses who reside over 40 miles from WIU-Macomb and WIU-Quad Cities campus libraries.
- Books ordered through I-Share should be picked up at the library chosen by the user in the "Choose pick-up library". NOTE: WIU-affliated users may select *any* preferred pick-up library location (see I-Share Libraries) when ordering I-Share materials.
- Books ordered through ILLiad will be mailed to you.
- Article Photocopies will be e-mailed to your ILLiad account.
The amount of time to receive ordered materials varies. When an item is requested, there is no guarantee the item will be available for loan or that it will be received in an expedient manner. Our services are dependent upon other institutions' workloads and other conditions beyond our control.
Articles, Books and other Borrowed Materials
While most Interlibrary Loan requests are obtained at no charge, there are occasions when other libraries charge for materials borrowed from them. WIU Libraries will subsidize requests for WIU affiliated faculty, staff, and students. See Policies & Procedures for more information.
Items that may be difficult to obtain or renew
- Videos, DVDs, CDs, microforms
- Reference, historical or genealogy materials
- Items currently on reserve in the WIU Library
- Entire issues of a journal
- Greg Phelps
- Access Services