Advancement & Public Services
Rocky on Parade FAQ
- What is Rocky on Parade?
- Who benefits from Rocky on Parade?
- How large will the final Rocky on Parade pack be?
- Who is responsible for the upkeep of sculptures?
- What happens if the Rocky on Parade Sculpture is damaged?
- What is the process for retiring a Rocky on Parade sculpture?
- Where can I learn more about Rocky on Parade?
Imagine a pack of larger-than-life fiberglass bulldog sculptures, designed and created by artists, on long-term public display for viewing pleasure and interactive events. Each bulldog will have a unique design.
- Sponsors: Recognition, including Western Illinois athletic events, on campus and community events, and online at wiu.edu/rockyonparade.
- Rocky On Parade site: When a location is confirmed, it is added as a “Coming Soon” marker on the online Rocky On Parade Dog Walk Map, and location promotion continues after installation.
- Regional Artists: Rocky on Parade artists are selected through a Call for Artists and receive a supply stipend and an artist commission.
- WIU Students: Rocky on Parade commissions directly benefit the Art Dept. Scholarship.
- City of Macomb: Rocky on Parade confirms Macomb as a city that supports the visual arts and provides tangible evidence of the campus-community partnership.
- Local Businesses: The Rocky on Parade Dog Walk Map leads tourists throughout Macomb.
The Rocky on Parade public art project will culminate in a final pack of 14 bulldogs the first year.
The Rocky on Parade committee recognizes that maintenance of the bulldogs on a regular basis is essential to the project’s integrity. The sponsor and/or owner of locations where bulldogs are placed is expected to include the area surrounding the sculpture in regular maintenance measures (i.e. upkeep of the landscape), but the Rocky on Parade committee will also see that the bulldogs are reasonably protected from the ravages of time and the elements for up to three years after the installation.
The Rocky on Parade committee has taken several precautions to ensure the longevity of the sculptures. The bulldogs will be clear-coated to protect them from the elements and will be securely attached to concrete bases. In the unlikely event that something were to happen to a sculpture, by vandalism or a natural occurrence, Rocky on Parade will oversee the repair.
Rocky on Parade is designed to be a long-term project to attract tourism to Macomb; however, the Rocky on Parade committee understands that sponsors and/or owner of locations where bulldogs are placed may eventually wish to remove the sculptures. The Rocky on Parade committee will oversee the proper removal of the bulldog. It will also be determined at this time whether the sculpture will remain the property of the sponsor, or if it will become the property of Western Illinois University.
If you are interested in more information about being a Rocky on Parade sponsor, please contact Mick Cumbie at (309) 298-2620 or emailing MC-Cumbie@wiu.edu.
If you are interested in more information about being a Rocky on Parade artists, please contact Stacy Dorethy (309) 298-1549.
General information is available at wiu.edu/rockyonparade or by calling the Alumni Association at (309) 298-1914.