Centennial Honors College
Honors Mentor Program
The Centennial Honors College wants the transition for all Honors students to the University and surrounding community to be as smooth as possible. To assist new students with this transition, we have established the Honors Mentor Program. Honors Mentors are matched with new and incoming Honors student who indicate they would like to be paired with an Honors Mentor.
Honors Mentors and Mentees are encouraged to:
- Keep in regular contact either via email or phone. Communication is essential for success!
- Establish a positive and mutually beneficial relationship.
- Actively participate in Honors, University, and community events.
Honors Mentors are required to participate in a one-on-one or group orientation, depending on scheduling, prior to being matched with a Mentee(s).
To be an Honors Mentor, an eligible applicant must:
- Have completed one year at WIU
- Have completed at least one Honors requirement (ex. In-Course Honors Project, GH299, etc...)
- Have excellent communication skills
- Work well with others
- Uphold University standards and policies
- Complete and submit the Honors Mentor Application
To make the most out of a mentorship, please visit the Honors Mentor Tips for more information.
To be an Honors Mentee, you must:
- Be a new Freshman or Transfer Centennial Honors College student
- Be recently accepted (within the past academic year) into the Centennial Honors College
Honors Mentees may register at anytime.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call (309) 298-2228 or email Janell McGruder at JL-McGruder@wiu.edu.