UHDS partners with University Technology (UTech) to provide technology resources in the residence halls.
ResNet (Hard-Wired Connection)
ResNet currently provides up to 2 Gbps for internet access, as well as network & technical support to students who wish to connect their computer systems to the WIU network in the residence halls and Graduate and Family Housing.
- ResNet connections are hard wired and available in every room in every residence hall.
- To gain a hard-wired connection on two or more computers or devices in the room, you will need to purchase;
- a switch (approximately $20-30, also available at the University Bookstore)
- additional Ethernet cables
- Learn more about ResNet and how to get connected.
Wireless access is available in all residence hall common areas and rooms. To access the WIU wireless, you will use your WIU Ecom username and password. Note: Wireless routers are not permitted in the residence halls. For more information on the WIU Wireless policy
Computer Labs & Print Stations
Four large computer labs for residence hall students are located in Corbin-Olson, Thompson, Lincoln-Washington and Tanner Halls. All labs are equipped with MS Windows and Macintosh workstations and laser printers, and they are all connected to the University-wide Local Area Network (LAN). The LAN provides access to the more popular word-processing, spreadsheet, database-management, and classroom-specific software programs available on today’s market. Students are also able to gain access to other mainframe computers and may use electronic mail to communicate with other students. Students are invited to take advantage of the many benefits of computerization in preparing their class assignments. For more information, visit: http://www.wiu.edu/university_technology/student_resources/computer-lab.php
All residence hall rooms have access to the residential television network with over 90 channels to choose from.
There are laundry facilities in each residence hall located in a common area. It costs $1.25 to wash and $1.00 to dry. Students can use coins or Rocky Dollars in the laundry facilities.
University Writing Centers
University Housing & Dining Services partners with the Department of English and Journalism to provide students with Writing Centers in the residence halls.
University Housing & Dining Services partners with University Advising and Academic Services to provide students with walk-in tutoring in the residence halls.
Our staff is specially trained to help support students through academic struggles. Here is just a snapshot of how our staff supports students' academic success:
- Academic Early Warning Intervention and Conversations
- Making Achievement Possible (MAP) Assessment Program
- Writing Center and Math Tutor Labs located in the halls
- Classroom Spaces in the Residence Halls
- Quiet Study Rooms & Group Study Rooms
Learn more about Residence Hall staff here.