Graduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions - Prospective Students

Where can I find the graduate catalog?

You can view the online catalog or contact the School of Graduate Studies (309/298-1806 or to receive a hard copy.

Which programs are offered at the Macomb campus?  At the Quad Cities campus?

Take a look here to see graduate program location offerings.

What are the admission requirements to my program?  Are GRE/GMAT scores required?

The admission requirements for each graduate program may be found here.

What graduate degree programs may be completed entirely online?

Business Administration (MBA)

Elementary Education (only the Elementary Curriculum and Literacy Education areas of specialization)

Instructional Design and Technology

Law Enforcement and Justice Administration

How much will it cost to attend WIU School of Graduate Studies?

Use our Cost Estimator to determine an estimate for tuition, fees, and room/board.

I took WIU graduate classes years ago.  What application do I submit?

You will submit the readmission application.

I applied within the past two years but didn’t enroll.  What application do I submit?

You will submit the Request to Reactivate Graduate Admission Application.

I applied over two years ago but didn’t enroll.  What application do I submit?

If you apply and do not enroll in classes, your application fee expires two years from the starting semester as indicated on the original application.  You will need to submit the graduate application as a new graduate student and pay the application fee.

How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

Prior to submitting the online graduate application, you can indicate ‘yes’ when asked if you are interested in an assistantship.  This will automatically generate an assistantship application when your application is uploaded to our system.  If you submitted your online application and later decide to apply for an assistantship, then you must submit the hard copy form to the School of Graduate Studies.  This form will be shared with your academic program of interest.

Should you wish to apply for an assistantship position outside of your academic department, you must submit a Request to have Graduate Assistantship Documents Sent to Department form.  Available positions may be found here.

I would like to learn more about WIU and the Macomb and Quad Cities communities.  Where can I find more information?

What are my housing options at the Macomb campus?  Quad Cities campus?

Macomb is a traditional campus and offers several options for on-campus housing to graduate students.   Graduate and Family Housing can answer any questions you may have.  The Quad Cities campus does not offer on-campus housing. 

Off-campus housing options for Macomb and the Quad Cities are available online.

What is the WIU ETS code for GRE scores to be sent to your institution?


I’m having technical difficulties with the online application.  Who do I contact for assistance?

Should you experience issues when completing and submitting the online graduate application, please click on the Technical Support link within the application or visit  Our application vendor, ApplyYourself/Hobsons handles troubleshooting and will be in touch with you soon after you submit your request.

What is the application fee and are waivers available?

The graduate application fee is $30.  Fee waivers are available for McNair Scholars, military veterans, and WIU faculty/staff/retirees.

I do not meet the minimum admission GPA requirements.  Are exceptions made to GPA admission requirements?

Some departments may accept these students as probationary students.  This varies by department.  Upon completion of six semester hours of graduate work at WIU with grades of “B” or above, probationary students petition the department for a change in admission status to regularly accepted.  Probationary students are not eligible for assistantship positions.

How long do I have to complete a graduate degree at WIU?

Master’s and specialist students – 6 consecutive calendar years, including transfer work

Doctoral students – 8 consecutive calendar years, including transfer work

More information may be found here.