Please note: Assistantship positions are intended to complement the student’s program of study and a rationale may be required from the hiring department if the two are not clearly connected. Also, positions listed below may have already been filled. It is the student's responsibility to verify availability with the hiring departments. Should a student wish to have the assistantship application materials on file in the Graduate School sent to a department outside of their academic program, they must submit the request form (wiu.edu/graduate_studies/current_students/forms/GARequesttoDept.pdf)
GA/RA Assistantship – IIRA Health and Housing/RSS Business Office - Spring 2015
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary job responsibilities will include working on the Pike County Community Health Needs Assessment project. This includes conducting telephone interviews, paper surveys, and focus groups. Other duties will include note taking, data entry and transcription and other tasks associated with the research project. 75%
GA/RA will assist with clerical tasks including but not limited to photocopying, telephone calling, and scheduling. GA/RA will perform other tasks as needed. 12.5%
GA will assist with all duties required to move the Rural Sociological Society Business Office from Brigham Young University to Western Illinois University. This will include travel to Madison, WI in February 2015 and Provo, UT in late April or early May. 12.5%
- Candidate must be able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Candidate must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Candidate must be able to work well with others, be dependable, and able to keep regular hours.
- Candidate must possess a working knowledge of word processing and spread sheet software.
- Candidate must have valid driver’s license and a willingness to travel. Out of state and overnight travel will require time commitment exceeding 20 hours per week. GA will receive compensatory time for out of state travel hours.
- Preferred candidate will have experience working with SPSS statistical software and a willingness to assist with a variety of new and existing projects. Previous research experience preferred but not required.
- Preferred candidate will either have customer service skills or a willingness to learn them
- Preferred candidate will be a continuing graduate student seeking an assistantship beyond Spring 2015
Starting and End dates:
This position is a 20 hour a week position. It begins on January 20, 2015 and end on May 15, 2015. Will coincide with the start and end dates of the Spring 2015 semesters. For more information contact Dr. Cynthia Struthers, Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs, Stipes Hall 502, phone (309) 298-2282.