Please note: Assistantship positions are intended to complement the student’s program of study and a rationale may be required from the hiring department if the two are not clearly connected. Also, positions listed below may have already been filled. It is the student's responsibility to verify availability with the hiring departments. Should a student wish to have the assistantship application materials on file in the Graduate School sent to a department outside of their academic program, they must submit the request form (wiu.edu/graduate_studies/current_students/forms/GARequesttoDept.pdf)
Western Illinois University endeavors to provide a safe environment for its employees and students and requires candidates to submit to a background investigation upon offer of employment. Employment is contingent upon compliance with University policies and procedures relating to the receipt and evaluation of information contained in the background investigation.
Center for International Studies - International Student Services - Fall 2016Full-time (20hrs/week) Graduate Assistant
Memorial Hall 347 - 309-298-3734
- Excellent communication skills
- Awareness of and sensitivity to a wide range of cultures
- Valid driver’s license issued in the U.S. and ability to drive a 15-passenger van
- Knowledge of software programs to create promotional materials for international student activities
- Previous participation in international student activities such as Conversation Partners, International Neighbors, New International Student Orientation volunteer
- Assist with social media and advertising
- Facilitate the Conversation Partners program
- Assist with the publicity, planning, and implementation of all international student activities (including website updates)
- Assist with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the New International Student Orientation
- Drive 15-passenger van for new international student orientation
- Assist in the creation of new activities and organizations that help WIU international students integrate into the campus and community
- Assist in all aspects of serving the international student population
- Drive when needed for international student activities and WESL field trips
All applicants must write an essay (500-word maximum) answering one or more of the following questions:
-Why are you interested in this assistantship?
-How can you contribute to improve international student activities?
-What impact can a person in this position have on the lives of international students?
Applicants should email the following information to DM-Vizdal@wiu.edu:
3) Contact information for three references
4) Scanned copy of your valid driver’s license (must be U.S. issued)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
University Bands and Choirs; Coordinator, Digital Marketing – Fall 2016
University Bands and Choirs are seeking a full time (20hrs/week) Graduate Assistant for the Fall 2016 term, renewable up to 4 semesters. The GA will help create a presence to promote the departments' programs to a national audience through the collection and dissemination of creative video and photographic images, updating daily activities on social media, designing advertisements/recruiting materials for mail outs, and the creation/editing of videoboard movie trailers for athletic bands and concert ensemble announcements.
Necessary skills include a creative flair for marketing/advertising as well as requisite skills in Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere.
To have your assistantship application materials sent to be reviewed for this position, please complete and submit the request form wiu.edu/graduate_studies/current_students/forms/GARequesttoDept.pdf to the Graduate School. Please note that the contact person's signature is required on this form.
Contact person: Dr. Mike Fansler (email@example.com) 309/298-1505