Please note: Assistantship positions are intended to complement the student’s program of study and a rationale may be required from the hiring department if the two are not clearly connected. Also, positions listed below may have already been filled. It is the student's responsibility to verify availability with the hiring departments. Should a student wish to have the assistantship application materials on file in the Graduate School sent to a department outside of their academic program, they must submit the request form (wiu.edu/graduate_studies/current_students/forms/GARequesttoDept.pdf)
Western Illinois University endeavors to provide a safe environment for its employees and students and requires candidates to submit to a background investigation upon offer of employment. Employment is contingent upon compliance with University policies and procedures relating to the receipt and evaluation of information contained in the background investigation.
University Art Gallery
Full-time (20 hours/week) Graduate Assistantship
A full-time Graduate Assistantship in the Western Illinois University Art Gallery includes a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend of $943 based on 4 months – or $3772 per semester. This position will begin with the start of the 2017 Spring Semester.
Because of the amount of research and writing required for the position, candidates who will be full-time graduate students for 3-4 more semesters in English, History, and Liberal Arts and Sciences will be given preference.
- Working with University Relations and WIU organizations to promote University Art Gallery exhibitions and programs to McDonough County residents, faculty, staff, and students
- Creating and updating mail and email lists and assisting with mailings
- Preparing print and social media materials to promote gallery exhibitions and programs
- Researching works of art in the permanent collection, hosting exhibition receptions and special events, and helping with the planning and presentation of children’s art activities. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
- Excellent writing, research, and public service skills are a must.
- Knowledge of Art History is helpful.
- Experience planning children’s activities and programs is desired.
- The Graduate Assistant will report to the University Art Gallery Director and will be required to work 20 hours per week.
Those interested in applying should complete and submit the request form with appropriate signatures ( wiu.edu/graduate_studies/current_students/forms/GARequesttoDept.pdf ) to the Graduate School.
Contact person: Tyler Hennings, email@example.com, or call 309.298-1587.