Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Resources for General Education Faculty
WIU's Center for Innovation Teaching & Research (CITR) provides general instructional resources, including syllabus design.
The following links are intended to provide information more specific to general education courses.
- WIU Advising and Academic Service Center's General Education Handbook
- WIU English Department Writing Handbook
- Examples of syllabi from WIU general education courses
- Examples of writing assignments from WIU general education courses
- Writing and General Education: below are websites discussing writing and general education
Teaching Large Classes
Guides & websites that discuss the challenges and opportunities concomitant with teaching large classes.
- Classroom Practices and Activities. This brief guide was created for English 180 instructors but contains ideas for teaching writing that may be of use across disciplines.
- Teaching Writing In Large Classes. This site, developed by the University of Minnesota, contains links to best practices and assignments for large classes.
- Teaching Large Classes (Univ. of Wisconsin-Whitewater) contains a useful bibliography.
- Teaching Large Classes (Univ. of Queensland) is a site that contains a wide variety of resources.
- Teaching Large Classes (Penn State) is a resource rich site.
- Teaching Large Classes (University of Arkansas) is a site that lists links to other sites about, yes, teaching large classes.
ERIC database searches
Below are searches from the ERIC database of scholarly articles keyed to General Education. These searches will run automatically for WIU students and faculty and automatically update themselves.
- Peer reviewed articles regarding writing assignments in higher education.
- The same search as before but limited to full text articles.
- Full text articles on General Education assessment at the program level.
- Teaching Methods