Theatre and Dance
Audition and Application Information
Auditions/Interviews are NOT required for admission to the BA program.
Auditions/Interviews for the Graduate Program in Theatre, please go to MFA in Theatre.
Auditions for the BFA in Musical Theatre For Audition purposes, you do NOT have to be accepted to the school at the time of your audition. However, if an offer is made contact the Admission Office for more information or APPLY NOW online. All students interested in musical theatre are first admitted to WIU as an acting major. Candidates for the BFA program are selected through competitive auditions. Chosen candidates are then offered a position in the program and the major changes to the BFA in musical theatre.
Audition Requirements for the BFA in Musical Theatre Candidates for the BFA program are chosen based on a performance audition along with the general admission standards of Western Illinois University. Auditions are held three/four times a year on the WIU campus. The on-campus audition consists of:
- Performance of one FULL song and one 16 – 32 BAR CUT of a contrasting song
- Performance of two contrasting monologue – each approximately one minute in length
- A short interview with the BFA faculty – a chance for us to ask questions and you to ask questions
- A movement audition consisting of center work, across the floor work, and a short combination. This will be taught in the room with no advanced preparation required. Formal dance training is not required; however applicants must show the potential to move well and be trainable.
On the day of your on-campus audition, please also bring:
- The completed audition form from our website on the Theatre and Dance webpage at this link. Please print the form and bring it with you, rather than emailing it back.
- One copy of a current resume and a current head shot.
- One letter of reference from a current educator in the area of singing, acting, or dance speaking to the students’ skill set, potential for success in a rigorous degree program, and general character.
- Movement or dance attire and appropriate shoes
- Music for vocal auditions. Proper format is in a binder and properly marked. Please do not bring loose sheets.
- To set up an audition, please call (309) 298-1543 or email Lysa Fox at L-Fox@wiu.edu. Let us know what day you will be auditioning and we will contact you approximately two weeks prior to the audition with a time schedule for the day. The auditions will begin either late morning or early afternoon depending on the number of auditioners that particular day and the schedule of the department.
- On-campus auditions are strongly preferred, however, if you are not able to come to the campus for an audition, video tapes/flipshare/youtube videos are accepted. Please contact Lysa Fox (Head of Musical Theatre) directly if you choose to audition by video at the following email address for further instructions: L-Fox@wiu.edu.
Auditions are scheduled for
- Saturday, Nov 12, 2016
- Saturday, Feb 25, 2017
- Saturday, Mar 25, 2017
Frequently Asked Questions Please click on the link Frequently Asked Questions