Law Enforcement and Justice Administration
The Western Illinois University Fire Protection Studies Program
About The Gateway Fire Academy Program
The Gateway program is a college credit fire academy for college students and high school seniors interested in entering the fire service. It consists of three week long sessions utilizing the
Illinois Basic Firefighter Certification Curriculum. Classes are held at the Quincy Regional Training Facility in Quincy Il. Students will be introduced to fundamental knowledge, procedures and skills involved in firefighting. The course material is physically and mentally challenging, taught by experienced experts in safe fire training practices
For more information contact: Scott Walker firstname.lastname@example.org
Nov 1, 2015: We are taking applications for June 2015 classes!. Seating is limited, so contact us soon if wish to enroll.
What You Need to Know
* All classes will be held at the Quincy Regional Training Facility campus in Quincy Illinois.
* Each course is an independent presentation, students may enroll in any or all classes.
* Classes are held Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. Some evening work may also be required
* Each course earns 3 semester hours credit from Western Illinois University
* Cost is $1150 per course.
- University tuition
- Campus housing & meals
- Rental of fire turnout gear. (students may supply own NFPA compliant gear)
* Eligible students must be high school seniors or above, and at least 16 years old.
* In addition to academic work, each course contains a significant amount of practical skills application, including live fire training. Skills activities may be physically demanding. Students must submit proof of clearance from a medical doctor as a condition of program acceptance.
¨ June 8: FS 101 Basic Elements of Firefighting (I). FS 101 is part of the Illinois Basic Firefighter Certification series. Topics include organization structures, safety, fire chemistry, building construction, rope practices, and fire extinguishers.
¨ June 15 : FS 102 Basic Elements of Firefighting (II) . FS 102 is part of the Illinois Basic Firefighter Certification series. Topics include ladder practices, hose operations, fire ground ventilation, and fire related hydraulics.
¨ June 22: FS 103 Basic Elements of Firefighting (III) . FS 103 is part of the Illinois Basic Firefighter Certification series. Topics include Fire ground tactics, rescue operations, fire cause determination, salvage, and post fire overhaul practices.