Health Sciences & Social Work
Health Sciences Admission Requirements
Ensure you meet our Undergraduate Admissions Standards
- 18–23 ACT Composite Score (middle 50%)
- 2.63–3.34 High School GPA (middle 50%)
- Complete your Admissions Application online. If planning to attend in the fall, submit application before August 1. (We have special Admissions Applications for our International students, Bachelor of Arts in General Studies applicants, and non-degree seeking students).
- Have your official ACT and/or SAT scores mailed directly to WIU
- Have your official high school transcript mailed to WIU directly from your high school. After you graduate from high school, we will also need your final transcript that includes your date of graduation
- Military/Veteran applicants: submit form DD214
Social Work Major Admission Requirements
Initially, all students entering the Social Work degree program are classified as Pre-Social Work majors. Enrollment in the Pre-Social Work program does not guarantee acceptance as a candidate for the Bachelor of Social Work degree.
To be accepted as a Social Work major and a candidate for the Bachelor of Social Work degree, students must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete SW 100 or transfer equivalent with a final grade of C or better. Complete, be registered in, or have a plan of study in place for BIOL 100, ENG 180, PSY 100, and SOC 100.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.00 overall.
- Complete the Social Work Program application materials and have a personal interview with a member of the Social Work faculty. (See application materials for further information.)
- Be accepted, on the basis of the application process, by the Social Work faculty. If the application is denied, the student has the right to appeal to the chairperson. The department will consider the appeal as a committee of the whole.
Questions about the admissions process should be directed to the Social Work advisor.
Social Work Degree Candidacy
Candidates for the Bachelor of Social Work degree must satisfy the following requirements for graduation:
- Meet the requirements stated above.
- Meet the University and department General Education course requirements for graduation.
- Obtain a grade of C or better in every graded SW course.
- Achieve a minimum 2.50 grade point average for all SW courses prior to enrolling in the practicum course, SW 480.
- Earn a minimum 2.50 SW grade point average at the conclusion of SW 480.
- Demonstrate professional knowledge, values, and skills after formal admission to the program and throughout the practicum. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the program.
Students must maintain good standing in the major after admission. Students must complete 100 volunteer or work hours in the social services field, as described in the application materials. Students must successfully complete an evaluation of professional practice behaviors in SW 315 and SW 440 to continue enrollment in the Social Work degree program. Students will not be able to successfully complete SW440 without completion of 100 volunteer hours prior to SW440.
Application for Admission
Students must talk to Cindy Dadello, the social work advisor, before completing the application to determine the appropriate semester in which to apply. She can be reached at 309-298-1438.