Economics and Decision Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Economics & Decision Sciences
- Business Analytics
The Bachelor of Business in Economics is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB Accreditation is known, worldwide, as the longest standing, most recognized form of specialized/professional accreditation an institution and its business programs can earn.
Economics: "Why my major matters"
By: Sarah Blaase '14 MA '13 BB Economics & Sloane Levin '14 BB Economics and Finance
(from Western Courier, 28 September 2012)
Economics is interesting, plain and simple. Why do we, as consumers, buy certain products? Why does the government enact certain policies or decide to raise taxes? Questions like these demonstrate why economics is all about the study of choice. We chose to major in economics because the job opportunities are seemingly endless.
Career options for economics majors vary with lucrative opportunities in finance and banking, health care, government agencies, sales and marketing, and even the sports world has a place for economics.
Economics is not only important for our careers, but on a personal level as well. Having a strong understanding of the subject will help us become financially smarter, better consumers and more informed voters. The logic and analytical skills developed throughout the undergraduate experience are also great preparation for graduate school.
Lastly, economics is fun. Trust us and read "Freakonomics," or watch "Moneyball." As mentioned, economics provides the necessary skills to prepare one for success in graduate school or the job market. Some of the most successful businessmen like Warren Buffet and Sam Walton had degrees in economics.
Economics will simply help you better understand how the world works. Western Illinois University has a great economics department, and we encourage all students to take an economics course or attend an Economics Student Association (ESA) meeting to find out more information.
- Aug 31, 2014: Entry Deadline for 2014-2015 Bull Test
- Sep 8, 2014: Professional Development Series - Get LinkedIn
- Sep 8, 2014: Professional Development Series - Dress for Success
- Sep 9, 2014: Professional Development Series - Preparing a Professional Resume
- Sep 10, 2014: Supply Chain Management Day
- Sep 10, 2014: 26th Annual Meet the Firms
- Sep 11, 2014: Professional Development Series - Keynote Speaker WIU alumna Kristin Andress
- Sep 11, 2014: Professional Development Series - Get LinkedIn
- Sep 12, 2014: School of Engineering Open House
- Sep 15, 2014: Professional Development Series -ROTC Leadership Course and Student Organization Fair
- Supply Chain Management Day Sept. 10
- CBT Professional Development Series...
- Study Abroad Fair Sept. 10
- WIU MBA Now Offered Online
- CPA Review Course Beginning Sept. 4
- WIU Welcomes Visiting Scholars from...
- WIU Fall Classes Begin Monday, Aug. 25
- WIU Announces Move-In Schedule