Economics and Decision Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Economics & Decision Sciences
- Business Analytics
The Bachelor of Business in Economics is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB Accreditation is known, worldwide, as the longest standing, most recognized form of specialized/professional accreditation an institution and its business programs can earn.
Economics: "Why my major matters"
By: Sarah Blaase '14 MA '13 BB Economics & Sloane Levin '14 BB Economics and Finance
(from Western Courier, 28 September 2012)
Economics is interesting, plain and simple. Why do we, as consumers, buy certain products? Why does the government enact certain policies or decide to raise taxes? Questions like these demonstrate why economics is all about the study of choice. We chose to major in economics because the job opportunities are seemingly endless.
Career options for economics majors vary with lucrative opportunities in finance and banking, health care, government agencies, sales and marketing, and even the sports world has a place for economics.
Economics is not only important for our careers, but on a personal level as well. Having a strong understanding of the subject will help us become financially smarter, better consumers and more informed voters. The logic and analytical skills developed throughout the undergraduate experience are also great preparation for graduate school.
Lastly, economics is fun. Trust us and read "Freakonomics," or watch "Moneyball." As mentioned, economics provides the necessary skills to prepare one for success in graduate school or the job market. Some of the most successful businessmen like Warren Buffet and Sam Walton had degrees in economics.
Economics will simply help you better understand how the world works. Western Illinois University has a great economics department, and we encourage all students to take an economics course or attend an Economics Student Association (ESA) meeting to find out more information.
- Dec 5, 2014: School of Engineering Open House
- Dec 11, 2014: Cattle Artificial Insemination Clinic
- Dec 12, 2014: Cattle Artificial Insemination Clinic
- Feb 7, 2015: Ag Mech Club's 45th Annual Farm Expo
- Feb 7, 2015: 2nd Annual School of Agriculture Alumni Social
- Feb 8, 2015: Ag Mech Club's 45th Annual Farm Expo
- Ag Student: Nat'l Teacher Prep Program
- WIU Faculty Join WAC of Quad Cities
- WIU Fulbright Interest Meeting is...
- WIU Art Gallery to Host Panel...
- Vote for WIU Students'...
- Graphic Communication Club Toy Drive
- BAP Angel Tree Program 2014
- WIU Alum, ISU Campus Rec Pro to Give...