Economics and Decision Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Economics & Decision Sciences
- Business Analytics
The Bachelor of Business in Economics is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB Accreditation is known, worldwide, as the longest standing, most recognized form of specialized/professional accreditation an institution and its business programs can earn.
Economics: "Why my major matters"
By: Sarah Blaase '14 MA '13 BB Economics & Sloane Levin '14 BB Economics and Finance
(from Western Courier, 28 September 2012)
Economics is interesting, plain and simple. Why do we, as consumers, buy certain products? Why does the government enact certain policies or decide to raise taxes? Questions like these demonstrate why economics is all about the study of choice. We chose to major in economics because the job opportunities are seemingly endless.
Career options for economics majors vary with lucrative opportunities in finance and banking, health care, government agencies, sales and marketing, and even the sports world has a place for economics.
Economics is not only important for our careers, but on a personal level as well. Having a strong understanding of the subject will help us become financially smarter, better consumers and more informed voters. The logic and analytical skills developed throughout the undergraduate experience are also great preparation for graduate school.
Lastly, economics is fun. Trust us and read "Freakonomics," or watch "Moneyball." As mentioned, economics provides the necessary skills to prepare one for success in graduate school or the job market. Some of the most successful businessmen like Warren Buffet and Sam Walton had degrees in economics.
Economics will simply help you better understand how the world works. Western Illinois University has a great economics department, and we encourage all students to take an economics course or attend an Economics Student Association (ESA) meeting to find out more information.
- Feb 4, 2015: QC Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Feb 7, 2015: Ag Mech Club's 45th Annual Farm Expo
- Feb 7, 2015: FFA State Ag Issues & Job Interview CDE's
- Feb 7, 2015: School of Agriculture Alumni Social
- Feb 8, 2015: Ag Mech Club's 45th Annual Farm Expo
- Feb 17, 2015: QC Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Mar 4, 2015: QC Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Mar 6, 2015: School of Engineering Open House
- Mar 13, 2015: 43rd Annual WIU Performance Bull Test and Sale
- Mar 27, 2015: Spring Ag Open House
- WIU Mock Presidential Election Feb....
- WIU Ag Mech Farm Expo Feb. 7-8
- Fall 2014 Graduation List
- Richard Voss Obituary
- WIU Accountancy Named In 30 Most...
- School of Ag Receives UAV for...
- Weekend Service Hours for Campus...
- Herrera-Ortiz Awarded International...