Fallen Soldiers 5K Run/Walk
October 10th, 2015
In October 2014, more than 500 runners and walkers joined forces to raise over $20,000 by participating in Western Illinois University's 3rd Annual Fallen Soldiers 5k Run/Walk, and event organizers hope to see over 550 in this year's event.
The event is designed as a fundraiser for the Fallen Soldier's Scholarship Fund in honor of two WIU alumni who were killed in the line of duty, Capt. Derek Dobogai and Lt. Col. Robert Baldwin. Dobogai, who graduated from Western in 2003 with a bachelor's degree in law enforcement and justice administration, was among the 14 U.S. soldiers aboard a Black Hawk helicopter that crashed Aug. 22, 2007 in northern Iraq. Baldwin, who earned a bachelor's degree in industrial technology from WIU in 1993, was killed Sept. 21, 2010 when his Blackhawk UH-60 helicopter carrying international troops crashed during combat operations in the Zabul province of Afghanistan.
Money raised from the 5k Run/Walk is directed toward the WIU Fallen Soldiers Scholarship Fund, which supports veterans and service members currently enrolled at Western. Additional donations are welcome. The entry fee is $25 per person, and pre-registration is due by Sept. 28th ($35 registration after 9/28).
While the scholarship and program will continue to honor the men for whom the scholarship was established, each year the event will also recognize the recipients of scholarships that are awarded in the preceding year.
- Online Registration Form
- Registration Form (to be printed and sent in)
- Facebook Event Page
- Race Route Map and Elevation Profile
- Sponsorship Information
Mile Marker Sponsor
- Dave & Jackie Thompson
Race Route Sponsors
Other Race Sponsors
- Knoblauch Cafe
- Blood Pressure and Grip Strength Screening - April 21
- Sun Damage Screening
- Monarch Butterflies: Benefitting from Backyard Habitats
- Blood Pressure and Grip Strength Screening - April 22
- Warren County YMCA 5K Run-Walk - Healthy Kids Day
- Blood Pressure and Grip Strength Screening - April 28
- Blood Pressure and Grip Strength Screening - April 29
- 9th Annual MDH/Tevar 5K Run & 1-2 Mile Walk
- WIU Women's Golf League
- Bridge the Gap to Health 5K/10K/Half Marathon