Western Well: Employee Wellness at Western Illinois University
How can I tell if I have high blood pressure?
- High blood pressure (also called Hypertension) has no symptoms. That's why it's called a "silent killer".
- A single elevated blood pressure reading doesn't mean you have high blood pressure.
- The only way to find out if you have high blood pressure is to have your blood pressure checked by a doctor or other qualified health professional.
- Optimal blood pressure with respect to cardiovascular risk is less than 120/80 mm Hg.
Moderation concerning alcohol consumption is defined as 1 drink/day for women and 2 drinks/day for men
1 drink =
- 12 ounces of regular beer OR
- 5 ounces of wine OR
- 1.5 ounces of 80 proof distilled spirits