Administrative Services


Important reminders about contracting for professional services:

  • Always use the most current version posted on Purchasing’s website. It is also located on the Provost’s website under Forms.  The agreement can be found here: Agreement for Professional Services
  • The contract must be fully signed before services begin. Please allow at least 2 weeks for signatures to be obtained. Late contracts require that a justification for late submission be submitted to the Purchasing Office.
  • Any contract over $1500 must be submitted with a Request for Purchase to the Purchasing Office prior to the beginning date of the contract.
  • A fiscal agent may sign WIU’s Agreement for Professional Services on behalf of the University only if the contract is less than $1500. Per the University Policy Manual, “only the President or his/her designees (which is the Vice President for Administrative Services Office) are authorized to sign contracts for the University. Any violation of this Regulation may render the contract void, if in the best interests of the University, and make the signing employee personally responsible for any consequences of the voided contract.”
  • If a vendor has their own contract (including hotel and advertising agreements, performance contracts, maintenance agreements, etc.) – regardless of dollar amount - please call the Purchasing Office for further instructions. The Board of Trustees Regulations state, “All contracts which an employee believes may raise legal issues shall be submitted to the President or his designee (which is the Vice President for Administrative Services Office) for approval as to legal form before they are signed.”
  • All internal agreements between University departments should be reduced to writing. A template can be found here: Internal Agreement.
  • Departments should contact the Purchasing Office when: the contract is $20,000 or more before sending an agreement to the vendor (must be competitively bid or determined to be a sole source); there is a known conflict of interest; or the contract is with a foreign individual

For more on contracts, see the Administrative Procedures handbook.

Employee or Independent Contractor?

If a contractual relationship is determined to be an employee relationship, a lump sum payment form is processed through the Human Resources department and payment is made through the payroll process. The lump sum payment form should be submitted to Human Resources.

Independent Contractors

  • Are not otherwise employed by the University (or formerly employed performing the same duties)
  • Pursue outside work or provide a service to multiple customers/clients and advertise such services
  • Take a "risk" for not completing the conditions of the contract
  • Contract for a set price to provide an identifiable service which covers a specified time frame
  • Have the flexibility to assign the service to other individuals
  • Are not directed as to methods of accomplishment, time restraints (other than contract period), etc.
  • Have a short-term relationship with the University
  • Contract is to be all inclusive, the University does not reimburse for items such as lodging, travel and meals.