Section 30: Mass Casualty or Multiple Victim Response
In the event that an incident develops into a Mass Casualty response, McDonough District Hospital should immediately be notified along with a casualty estimate. In addition, the Senior EMT should request that the Lieutenant crew is dispatched to the scene along with the Captain, Executive Officer and Training Officer if needed. The executive staff should have training in incident command, and can also provide extra skills in triage and treatment.
If additional resources beyond the capabilities of a Western EMS response, area Fire Departments can also provide mutual aid assistance.
It is imperative that early requests for resources are made, along with accurate patient counts. This will assist incoming resources and allow receiving hospitals to clear beds and call in staff.
Once a Mass Casualty Incident has been recognized, the Senior EMT will assume medical command until replaced by a higher authority. Incident Command is then responsible for requesting and directing incoming personnel to the incident.
Please see the McDonough District Hospital EMS System Manual for system guidelines of a Mass Casualty Incident or Multiple Victim Response.
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Conduct code, Rights and Responsibilities
- Section 3: Application Process
- Section 4: Training Sessions
- Section 5: Administrative Positions Hiring Procedure
- Section 6: Mid-Semester Reviews
- Section 7: Ranks and Positions
- Section 8: Talent Grants
- Section 9: Dress Code
- Section 10: Scheduling and Attendance
- Section 11: Cell Phone Use
- Section 12: Call Response
- Section 12.1: Crew Staffing
- Section 13: Off Campus
- Section 14: Equipment Purchasing
- Section 15: Use of Equipment
- Section 16: Liability Coverage
- Section 17: Alcohol, Substance Abuse and Smoking
- Section 18: Confidentiality
- Section 19: Complaints and Internal Conflicts
- Section 20: Service Recognition
- Section 21: Discipline and Conduct Code
- Section 22: On Call Rooms
- Section 23: Radio Communications
- Section 23.1: Approved 10-Codes
- Section 23.2: Approved Phonetic Alphabet
- Section 24: Communicable Disease and Exposure/Injury Care
- Section 25: Implementation of Policies and Procedures
- Section 26: Changes to the Policy and Procedure Manual
- Section 27: Meeting Attendance
- Section 28: Death of a Patient
- Section 29: Emergency Leave of Crew
- Section 30: Mass Casualty Incident or Multiple Victim Response