- Be aware of the Civil Defense sirens used if a tornado is sighted.
- If indoors, go to the lowest level of the building. Interior hallways or rooms are preferable, away from glass windows.
- If outdoors, go to the nearest ditch or depression, away from power lines, buildings, and trees. Do not stay in a car or attempt to outrun the tornado.
- After the tornado has passed, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is needed, call 911. Be aware of dangerous structural conditions. Report damaged facilities to the Office of Public Safety.
Note: Gas leaks and power failures create special hazards. Do not light a match or smoke. Refer to section on utility failure.
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building and are not able to evacuate.
- Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to clear area at least 150 yards from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested, assist emergency personnel. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the Office of Public Safety.
Office of Public Safety
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
EMERGENCIES: Dial 911
Parking Services: 309/298-1921
Access Control: 309/298-1940