Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Guidelines: Medical and First Aid
- If a serious injury or illness occurs, call 911. Give your name, describe the nature and severity of the medical problems, and the location of the victim.
- In case of minor injury or illness, provide first aid care. Use the first aid materials located in the building. (If available)
- In case of serious injury or illness, trained personnel should quickly perform the following steps.
- Call 911.
- Keep victim still and comfortable. Do not move victim.
- Ask victim, “Are you okay?” and “What is wrong?”.
- Check breathing and condition of victim.
- Control serious bleeding by direct pressure on the wound.
- Provide assistance to the victim until help arrives.
- Look for emergency medical ID. Question witnesses, and give all information to emergency response personnel.
Be sure to restock first aid supply kits as materials are used.
Poisoning and Overdose
- Stay with the victim and assist as necessary.
- If choking, lower victim's head.
- Check victim's mouth and clear of foreign matter.
- Use abdominal thrusts if trained to do so.
Fainting, Unconsciousness and Shock
- Have the victim lie or sit down and rest.
- Place victim lying down on back.
- Give resuscitation or CPR as necessary.
Burns, Thermal and Chemical
- Flood chemical burn with cool water.
- Cover burn with dry bandage.
- Keep victim quiet and comfortable.
Fractures and Sprains
- Keep victim quiet.
- Keep injured area immobile.
Severe Bleeding and Wounds
- Apply direct pressure on wound (until help arrives) using a clean cloth or hand.
Note: Professional medical care should be sought after first aid is given.
Office of Public Safety
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
EMERGENCIES: Dial 911
Parking Services: 309/298-1921
Access Control: 309/298-1940