- If indoors, seek refuge in a doorway or under a desk or table. Stay away from glass windows, shelves, and heavy equipment. During an earthquake exit the building only after the shaking has stopped.
- If outdoors, move away from utility poles and buildings. Always avoid power or utility lines as they may be energized.
- After the initial shock, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is necessary, call 911. Be prepared for aftershocks.
- Report damaged facilities to 911.
- Note: Gas leaks and power failures create special hazards. Please refer to the sections on utility failures. Do not light a match or smoke.
- Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to clear area at least 150 yards from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested, assist emergency personnel. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the Office of Public Safety.
Office of Public Safety
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
EMERGENCIES: Dial 911
Parking Services: 309/298-1921
Access Control: 309/298-1940