Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Safety at the Office
- Do not give out personal information while at work.
- If working after hours, be sure the front door locks behind you upon entering and leaving. Keep your office door locked, inform Public Safety at 298-1949 of your presence in your office.
- Do not inform others that you are alone. If you have an active order of protection, notify the Office of Public Safety.
Safety in the Car
- Park in well lit areas and have your key ready to unlock your vehicle. You may wish to carry a cellular telephone in your vehicle.
- Check your back seat before getting in to make sure no one is hiding there.
- Keep doors locked at all times. If your car breaks down, raise the hood, put on emergency lights, and lock doors. Wait for someone to stop, (staying in your locked car), and ask them to call the police or tow service or use your cellular phone to request assistance.
If You Are the Victim of a Sexual Assault:
- Look for situations which you can exploit to your advantage. Your primary objective should be to survive the attack and avoid serious injury to yourself.
- Take notice of the characteristics of your assailant including his habits, surroundings, contacts, speech and mannerisms. This information is important for the police in trying to apprehend the criminal. Call 911.
- If you have been raped, do not shower, bathe, douche, or destroy any clothes you were wearing. Do not disturb the area where the assault occurred. If you change clothes, put clothes in a paper bag and take them to the hospital or police station for evidence. It is best not to change clothes. Seek medical help. Be sure to get medical attention for injuries, and tests for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.
Sexual Assault Assistance
- Office of Public Safety 911 or 298-1949
- Beu Health Center 298-1888
- Western Illinois Regional Council Sexual Assault Program (309)837-5555 (Available 24 hours)
Office of Public Safety
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
EMERGENCIES: Dial 911
Parking Services: 309/298-1921
Access Control: 309/298-1940