Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
File code: ADM.ALCOHOL.FAC
Approval Date: 1/19/2010
Approved By: President
Policy on Use of University Facilities; Policies Governing the Sale and Provision of Alcoholic Beverages
- The sale or provision of alcoholic beverages on the Western Illinois University campus is governed by Article VI, Section 11, Chapter 43, paragraph 130 of “An act relating to alcoholic liquors, approved January 31, 1934, as amended, which reads as follows:
“Alcoholic liquors may be delivered to and sold at any . . . airport, faculty center, or facility in which conferences and convention type activities take place belonging to or under control of any State university provided that with respect to a facility for conference and convention type activities alcoholic liquors shall be limited to the use of the convention or conference participants or participants in cultural, political or education activities held in such facilities, and provided further that the faculty or staff of the State university or members of an organization of students, alumni, faculty, or staff of the State university are active participants in the conference or convention.”
Catering Liquor - Western Illinois University, University Union
All sales of alcoholic beverages upon Western Illinois University property are to be scheduled, managed, and supervised by staff of the University Union or designee. In compliance with the pertinent provisions of the Illinois Liquor Control Act and under the conditions approved by the Board of Trustees, Western Illinois University has adopted the following policies governing the sale and service of alcoholic beverages on Western Illinois University property.
- Alcoholic beverages shall be sold and served on Western Illinois University property only in conjunction with catered events for conferences, conventions, education, cultural or political events that are sponsored by a Western Illinois University college, department, office, faculty/staff or alumni organization. Such events must be approved by and scheduled through the University Union staff member responsible for scheduling and coordinating University Union conferences and activities.
- In order for alcoholic beverages to be served at conference, convention, educational, cultural, or political events, a substantial number of the active participants must be Western Illinois University faculty, staff, or alumni. Western Illinois University students twenty-one years of age or older who are in attendance as participants or guests or who are student members of a sponsoring organization may be served alcoholic beverages at such events.
- Under the provisions of this policy, no Western Illinois University student or student organization will be permitted to schedule or sponsor a conference, convention, educational, cultural or political activity where alcoholic beverages are served.
- An exception to the sponsorship provisions of these regulations will be granted for wedding receptions, class reunions and business/organizational banquets which for purposes of this document are defined as cultural events. This exception does include the understanding that a currently enrolled Western Illinois University student may schedule his/her wedding reception in the University Union at which event alcoholic beverages may be served to guests who are twenty-one years of age or older.
- Arrangements for serving alcoholic beverages at an event must be made with the contracted food service vendor at least two weeks prior to the activity.
- Only the appropriate University Union staff or designee may sell, serve, or otherwise provide alcoholic beverages at activities approved for the sale of alcoholic beverages on Western Illinois University property.
- Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by participants must be confined to the area or room scheduled for the activity, and will not be permitted in public areas or lounges.
- As a general rule, all alcoholic beverages must be paid for on the day on which they are served and consumed.
- Provision must also be made for the distribution of non-alcoholic beverages at any activity where the sale and service of alcoholic beverages is approved.
Sponsors of the participants in activities approved for the sale of alcoholic beverages will be expected to comply with all relevant rules and regulations of Western Illinois University.
Retail Liquor License - Western Illinois University, Harry Mussato Golf Course
- Alcoholic beverages are available for sale to any person twenty-one years of age or older, with appropriate identification, for on-premises consumption only.
- Under the provisions of this policy, no Western Illinois University student or student organization will be permitted to schedule or sponsor an event
- Only the appropriate Harry Mussato Golf Course staff may sell, serve, or otherwise provide alcoholic beverages at the Golf Course.
- All alcoholic beverages must be paid for at the time of service and consumption.
As a general rule, alcoholic beverages may be served/sold by University Union Alcohol Services in conjunction with catered food events on Western Illinois University property. Retail sales are available at the Pro Shop of the Harry Mussato Golf Course for on-premises consumption only. The University Housing and Dining Services office should be consulted for rules and restrictions governing the service of alcoholic beverages in residence halls and married student housing areas, with the exception of catered events.