Economics & Decision Sciences
"Be a reflection of what you'd like to see in others. You get in return what you give."
Debbie works in the Economics & Decision Sciences Department as an Office Manager. Debbie began her career at WIU in August 1983 as a Secretary II in the Financial Aid Office. She has progressively promoted to her current position. Debbie's primary responsibilities include the departmental budget, assisting faculty and students, general office duties, and coordinating events for the department. She enjoys her co-workers and especially the students. She remarked, "They're marvelous!" It is easy to see that Debbie likes people. When asked what she would say to a prospective employee about working at Western, she replied, "The people you have the opportunity to work with here at WIU, are the best." One of Debbie's most memorable experiences was when she received the Civil Service Employee of the Month Award in 2010. She shared, "That was a great honor for me!" Debbie has developed a rapport with employees in other offices both at WIU and also at other campuses. "Creating a working relationship with a network of individuals and departments has helped me do my job even better." Debbie's WIU journey began in 1983, when she had been working at the Regional Superintendent's office and the soft money was not renewed. She applied to Western, and was first hired in the Financial Aid Office in the then Secretarial Pool. Debbie likes to say she "floated" around to many areas on campus while she was in that pool (pun intended)! She was quick to add, however, "That was a GREAT learning experience—to learn so many areas of the campus before I was offered a position in the College of Business."
When Debbie isn't greeting you with that smiling, friendly face in Economics, you will find her enjoying camping, baking, and spending time with her grandsons.
HR salutes Deb McDaniel as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees