Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
"It's never nothing!"
Tim works as an Administrative Assistant in the Facilities Management Department at WIU. Tim began his career at WIU in March 2009 as a Customer Service Representative I in the Geography Department. He has progressively promoted to his current position. Some of Tim's main responsibilities include: Working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), performing digital mapping for Facilities Management, work closely with the GIS Center in Tillman Hall, and serves as the document librarian for the department. Tim electronically locates underground cables, lines, etc. to support campus technology and aid in campus maintenance for both the Macomb and Quad Cities campuses. He also utilizes his professional photography experience by photographing construction projects which provides a data base for each project.
When asked what he enjoys most about his job, Tim responds, "I like the interaction with the design professionals and trades crews. I like to be helpful and to help prevent problem situations from arising." His advice for prospective employees is to try not to come with preconceived notions. "WIU allows you to grow with your job. I have loved the challenges I have had. I have had the opportunity to wear many hats and I appreciate the diversity of environments. WIU provides opportunities to take classes and to further your learning." Tim's most memorable experience was working with International students. "That was my number one eye-opener! I enjoyed learning about and understanding other cultures and other languages, it has been a wonderful experience. It has made me more aware of the world!"
Tim credits those he has worked with as being most helpful to him in his job. "Everyone around me has helped me. Co-workers are willing to share information, and I have had some amazing student assistants to work with me. I have had positive experiences with everyone at WIU!" When Tim isn't in the trenches, literally, you will find a camera around his neck. He is an accomplished photographer and loves to use many areas on campus as his subjects! He also enjoys sharing his passion about the Moses King Brick and Tile Works National Historic District in Colchester, and where Tim calls home!
HR salutes Tim Schroll as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees