Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
"It is what it is…make the best of any situation!"
Karla works as an Office Administrator in the Music Department. She began her career at WIU in September 2004 as an Extra Help Secretary III in the Special Education Department. In November 2004 she was certified into a permanent position as a Secretary III in Special Education. She has progressively promoted into her current position. Karla's primary responsibilities include working with and for the WIU Bands which includes: The Marching Leathernecks, The Wind Ensemble, and The Jazz Bands to name a few. She also plans travel for the band members and organizes events through the Music Department such as high school marching band competitions, The Showcase of Bands, Jazz Festival, and Summer Music Camps (Choral and Band). She helps the music students any way she can. When asked what she likes most about her job, Karla responded, "The people I work with, as well as the students! It's a big family here and we work together to make things happen…which is very nice!" Karla sites that coming to work for the Music Department was one of her most memorable experiences. Her advice for prospective employees? "Working at WIU was life-changing for me, I couldn't have asked for anything better than to work here!" Karla is working toward her Bachelor's Degree and will graduate in December, which is why she mentions, "Homework, homework, and homework," as what she does most when she is not at work! She enjoys spending time with her daughter who currently attends WIU, and her 13-year old son.
HR salutes Karla White as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees