Provost & Academic Vice President's Office
Office Support Associate
"Everyone wants somebody to care for their heart." And Valencia adds to that, "…and to be treated professionally."
Valencia Pettigrew works in the Office of the Provost & Academic Vice President as an Office Support Associate. Valencia began her career at WIU in June 2011 with the Intern Program. She completed the Intern Program in March 2012. Valencia's primary responsibilities are to serve as the front line receptionist: greeting visitors to the office as well as answering the phone lines. Valencia is also responsible for monitoring fiscal accounts, writing contracts for First Year Experience Peer Mentors, processing requests and Direct Pay Authorizations, and coordinating meeting schedules for the Assistant Vice President. Valencia's favorite part of her job is having the opportunity to visit with people, to show respect to them so they have a positive experience within the Provost's Office, and the university as a whole. Valencia's advice to prospective employees to WIU would be to pursue as much education as possible, "It makes you more marketable." She also added, "The Intern Program is a wonderful program that WIU offers to the community to get started at the university." When asked about her most memorable experience, Valencia shared, "I am humbled to have this position, it's an honor-it speaks highly of Dr. Hawkinson's perspective that anyone can learn. I think highly of him for that." "One of the biggest things that has benefitted me in this position has been my degree in Psychology. It has helped me to understand people better." Valencia enjoys learning, and is pursuing her Master's Degree in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Administration.
HR salutes Valencia Pettigrew as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees