"Every day is a good day!"
Joe Walters began working at WIU in August of 2010, as a Maintenance Worker on the Asbestos Abatement Crew. Joe performs specialty asbestos removal in designated buildings all over campus. Joe's position is responsible for building decontamination units and bag-outs. Working with electricians, Joe performs electrical set-ups as well. Each member of this crew has been specifically trained for the proper removal of asbestos, and must keep appropriate licensure up-to-date. When asked what he likes most about his job, Joe shared, "It's challenging, and I like that! Every day I learn something new." Joe's advice, for prospective employees, is, "WIU is a great place to work! People are friendly and it's a good working environment." One of Joe's most memorable experiences was the crew's completion of asbestos removal in Wetzel Hall, and then watching it come down. He commented, "I lived there for three years when I was a student here…it was bittersweet!" Joe's favorite thing to do at WIU is to meet new people! When Joe is not working, he enjoys working at home, hunting, and spending time with his grandkids.
HR salutes Joe Walters as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees