Building Service Worker
"You get out of life what you put into it!"
Herb Snowden currently works in Higgins Hall as a Building Service Worker. Herb began his career at WIU in March 2000. Herb's primary responsibilities are to clean the 15th and 17th floors of Higgins Hall, which includes cleaning the rest rooms, hall floors, carpets, windows, etc. During the summertime, Herb has worked on the Scrub Crew and also in the Olson Conference Center. When asked what he likes most about his job, Herb indicated it was the students that he enjoys the most. He shared, "If you treat our students with respect, they in turn respect me…I get a good return with them." He enjoys when they leave him notes, he says he enjoys a good rapport with Higgins students. Herb shares some insight for prospective employees, "WIU is a great place to work…you get out of the job what you put into it. If you make it a priority, it will take care of you!" Herb appreciates learning procedures from his co-workers who have been here longer, they taught him how to make the job a bit easier and more efficient. Herb's favorite WIU event was attending the Ram's scrimmages when they were at Western. When Herb is not making the 15th and 17th floors sparkle, he enjoys spending time with his family (two sons who are WIU Alum), and especially his grandchildren!
HR salutes Herb Snowden as one of our many committed Civil Service employees at WIU!
- SURS Employee Forum Presentation (PDF)
- Civil Service Handbook
- Civil Service Forms
- Microsoft Office Training
- Civil Service Employees Council News and Information
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Access
- Provost's Office
- Diversity Programs at Western
- Western Illinois University Board of Trustees
- Western Illinois University Chapter - State Universities Annuitants Association
- State Universities Civil Service System - (includes information about Statutes & Rules, Class Specifications, Employee Data, Procedures Manuals, and more)
- SURS - State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- McDonough County Senior Services Directory
- CMS Deferred Compensation Plan - supplemental retirement plan open to all full-time state employees