Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Civil Service Handbook - B
The Benefits Division of Human Resources located in Sherman Hall 312 administers group life, health, vision, and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; supplemental insurances; tax-deferred supplemental retirement plans; and the State Universities Retirement System. For information access the WIU Human Resources web page or schedule an appointment by calling 298-1853.
The information in this handbook is subject to change and to the legal documents pertaining to each benefit plan. Those documents are the final source of the amount and availability of the various benefits.
- Employees will be granted, upon request, leave of up to three scheduled work days to attend the funeral or memorial service and/or for travel and bereavement time, upon the death of a member of the employee's immediate family, household, in-laws, grandchildren, and/or grandparents; and up to one day to attend the funeral or memorial service of a relative other than the above who is not a member of the employee's household. The amount of leave provided is not intended to be guaranteed and is available only when there is a need. Bereavement leave shall be taken in not less than one-half day increments and may not be accumulated. Employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement with different bereavement leave benefits will receive those benefits according to their agreement.
- Immediate family is defined as:father, mother, sister, brother, spouse, domestic partner, and children. Biological, adopted, foster, legal wards, or step family members are considered immediate family under this policy. In-laws are defined as: mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, and daughter-in-law.
- Other relative is defined as: aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or first cousin of the employee. Such relatives are regarded as members of the immediate family only if in residence in the employee's household at the time of death.
- Bereavement leave benefits are not granted in the event of the death of a member of the employee's spouse's or domestic partner's family unless specifically stated. For example, grandparent refers to the grandparent of the employee. For purposes of application of bereavement leave, relationships existing due to marriage or domestic partnership will terminate upon the divorce or termination of domestic partnership of the relative through whom the marriage or domestic partnership relationship exists. Current marital status will be defined in accord with Illinois State Law.
- The employee's supervisor may grant additional leave to an employee who cannot, because of special circumstance, return to work at the completion of the allowable bereavement leave days. An employee may choose to take such leave without pay or may use accrued vacation or sick leave.
The purchase of Series EE Bonds is available to all University employees through payroll deduction. For detailed information concerning this payroll deduction, contact the Payroll Office, Sherman Hall 221 (298-1867).
The Employee Education Award was established in 1982 and five recipients are chosen at random from Civil Service employees actively enrolled at WIU each semester. These awards are subsidized by the Civil Service Award Fund, a WIU foundation fund initiated and supported by employee contributions.
- Fifteen $100 book awards will be given to Civil Service employees each year. Each award is made payable directly to the employee.
- Each award goes to a Civil Service employee who is currently enrolled in a course(s) at WIU in Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or Summer Session (five $100 awards are offered each term).
- To be eligible for this award, the recipient must be a Civil Service employee at WIU who holds a status appointment.
- An employee may receive this award only once.
- Recipients of the book awards are selected by a random drawing from all "Request to Enroll in University Classes" forms by the Civil Service Awards Selection Committee. Selection and Fund Committee members are not eligible.
- Selection decisions are final and binding.
Contact Human Resources for more information (298-1971).
Department heads and supervisors may authorize reasonable rest periods during the workday. A reasonable rest period is defined as a 15-minute "break" during each half-day of work.
Breaks should be taken at a time and in a manner which does not interfere with the operational needs of the work unit. Normally, at no time would all employees leave the work area at the same time.
A break is intended to be a recess, preceded and followed by an extended work period. It may not be used to cover a late arrival or early departure, nor may it be regarded as cumulative if not taken.
- Handbook Directory
- Adoption Benefits
- Affirmative Action Administrative Internship Program
- Appointment Types
- Apprentice Appointment
- Art Exhibits (see Entertainment)
- Athletic Events
- Audit Appeal Procedure
- Audit Procedure for Positions
- Benefits While on Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Book Awards for Civil Service Employees
- Bureau of Cultural Affairs (see Entertainment)
- Campus Connection
- Civil Service Award Fund
- Civil Service Award Selection Committee
- Civil Service Bulletin Boards
- Clerical Services Policy
- Concerts (see Entertainment)
- Copy Centers
- Credit Union
- Cultural Affairs (see Entertainment)
- Death Benefits and Survivor Benefits
- Disability Leave
- Disciplinary Management Program
- Educational Benefits
- Educational Benefits for Retirees/Employees' Children
- Educational Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Newsletter (see Campus Connection)
- Equal Opportunity Policy
- Examination Scheduling Procedures
- Extra-Help Appointment
- Family and Medical Leave Act - FMLA
- Fine Arts (see Entertainment)
- Food Service Operations
- Funeral Leave (see Bereavement Leave)
- Health Service
- Hiring Procedures
- Identification Cards
- Interviewing for Positions
- Job Descriptions
- Jury Duty/Court Witness Service
- Layoff Policy
- Learner Appointment
- Leaves of Absence
- Library Privileges
- Lost and Found (see University Union Facilities)
- Lunch Period
- Mail Services
- Make-Up Time
- Medical Leave
- Military Leave
- Night Shift Differential (see Shift Differential Procedures)
- Notary Public Service
- Office Supplies Store
- Parental Leave
- Parking and Traffic Regulations
- Part-Time Employee Benefits
- Pay Checks
- Payroll/Personnel Procedures
- Performance Evaluation
- Personal Convenience Leave
- Personnel Files
- Physical Plant Services
- Pregnancy Leave
- Probationary Period - Six Months
- Probationary Period - Twelve Months
- Provisional Appointment
- Recreation for Employees and Families
- Scholarship Awards to Dependents of Civil Service Employees
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Shift Differential Procedures
- Sick Leave
- Sports (see Athletic Events)
- Status Changes
- Status Appointment
- Status Notice
- Tax Deferred Accounts
- Telecommunication/WESTEL Services
- Temporary Appointment
- Time Cards
- Trainee Appointment
- Transportation Services
- Tuition Waivers
- Unemployment Compensation
- University Union Facilities
- Veterans Preference Points
- Work Schedules
- Workers' Compensation
- A - Policy on Acquiring Computing Devices
- B - Clean Air/No Smoking Policy
- C - Clerical Services Policy
- D - Policy on Commercial and Charitable Solicitation
- E - University Compensation Policy
- F - Compensatory Time/Overtime Policy
- G - Constitution & By-Laws of WIU Civil Service Employee's Council
- H - Disciplinary Management Program
- I - Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- J - Policy on Distribution of Printed Materials and Collection of Signatures
- K - Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy
- L - Drug-Free Workplace Policy
- M - Policy on Employment of Individuals with Disabilities
- N - Policy Statement on Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
- O - Flex-Time Policy
- P - Flex-Year Civil Service Status Appointments
- Q - Civil Service Employee Grievance Policy
- R - Legal Procedures
- S - Policy on Limiting University Operations Because of Emergency Conditions
- T - Policy on Providing Student/Staff Computer Listings or Labels
- U - Racial & Ethnic Harassment Policy
- V - Security of Information
- W - Policy on Sexual Harassment in the Campus Community
- X - Tuition Reduction & Educational Assistance Plan
- Y - Union Solicitation Guidelines
- Z - Policy on use of the Free Speech Area
- AA - Use of the WIU LAN Bulletin Board
- BB - Blood and Organ Donor Leave Policy