Tips To Protect Your Investment From Badware, Identity Theft, Malware, Spyware, Viruses
Always require a password to unlock your machine and your mobile devices. NEVER share that password with anyone.
Symptoms You Might Notice
I am having a lot of popup's and my computer is slow, what's wrong with my computer?;
- The problem you are having is most likely spyware.
Spyware are programs designed to watch where you go on the Internet, and to aggressively advertise by forcing unwanted windows to popup on your computer.
To prevent & eliminate spyware, your computer must be;
scanned once every two weeks by programs such as Ad-Aware, Spybot, or Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta.
- updated AND
- These software programs can be found in our ResNet software section.
- For more help, please call the uTech Support Center at (309) 298-2704.
I want to protect myself against viruses, what software should I use?
- Western Illinois University now offers free Symantec Anti-Virus for our students. To install, please go here.
- We recommend that you scan with Symantec Anti-Virus once a week, and always have the latest live-updates.
I think I have a virus, how do I remove it?
- Some viruses can be removed just by having Anti-Virus software installed. Some, more complex viruses need other tools to remove them. If you would like to remove the virus yourself a good place to start is searching Symantec's site.
- Need help in person? Call the uTech Support Center at (309) 298-2704 and request that a ResNet technician visit your room & check your machine.
- If you think you have a virus, and need extra help, please call the uTech Support Center at (309) 298-2704.