Software Installed on WIU-owned Systems
Desktop and Hardware Services installs the following software on WIU owned systems at the time of setup:
- Windows 7 Enterprise
- Microsoft Office 2010 (Windows) or Microsoft Office 2011 (Mac)
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access (Windows Only)
- Microsoft Publisher (Windows Only)
- Firefox 5.0
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10.0
- Symantec AntiVirus 11.0 (Windows)
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 (Mac)
Other software is available for Faculty/Staff use, but is not part of the typical standard installation (Can be requested through Support Center)
- SPSS – Latest version for both Windows and Mac
- SAS 9.2 (Windows only)
- Microsoft Project 2007 (Windows only)
In addition to the software that Desktop and Hardware Services typically installs, other software is supported.
- Windows XP or Windows 7
- Mac OSX 10.4 and higher
- Limited support for Microsoft Office 2003
- Limited support for Adobe Acrobat 8.0 and earlier
- Other software is supported in a limited fashion depending on time and workload
- To keep your computer safe from viruses, uTech offers Symantec Anti-Virus with all updates for free to our students. You can download it from the link provided here, which will require that you authenticate as a WIU student with your ECom (email) login information. If you have any problems installing the software, you can call our uTech HelpDesk at (309) 298-2704 for assistance.
- If you are having problems with pop-ups, or if your web pages are not going to the places you expect them to go, you may have a problem with spyware. We recommend you use either Adware or Spybot, which can be download for free from the links provided.
- Most software products update automatically. However, some viruses and spyware can break your Internet connection making it impossible for the software to update automatically. In that case, you will need to manually install the updates. For your convenience, here are the locations to download and install the latest updates for common virus and spyware removal tools that are supported by ResNet.