Western Illinois University
Educational Opportunity Details
Updated December 2013
For the Macomb campus, six-year graduation rates were reported as the national reporting standard (i.e., 150% of the normal time-to-degree) for institutions that admit new freshmen.
For the Quad Cities campus, four-year graduation are reported. Since the Quad Cities admits undergraduates as juniors, four years is the 150% measure of the normal time-to-degree.
First-Year Retention Rate and Graduation Rates
|Illinois Public University Subset|
|Six-Year Graduation Rate||54%||52%||57%||71%|
|All Illinois Public Universities|
|Six-Year Graduation Rate||54%||21%||52%||84%|
The Illinois Public University Subset includes Eastern Illinois University, Illinois State University, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, University of Illinois-Springfield, and Western Illinois University.
The 12 public Illinois Universities are Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, Governors State University, Illinois State University, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, Southern Illinois University (Edwardsville and Carbondale), the University of Illinois (Chicago, Springfield, and Urbana/Champaign), and Western Illinois University. * Governors State University did not report data.
Retention Rate Benchmarks
|College of Charleston||83%|
|Sam Houston State
|College of Charleston||69%|
|Sam Houston State||50%|
Quad Cities Benchmarks
|Western Illinois -Quad Cities||69%|
The National Survey of Student Engagement measures student performance on:
- Academic challenge or the degree to which students perceive the importance of academic effort and setting high performance standards.
- Academic and collaborative learning or measures of how intensely students were involved in their educational process and whether they applied what they have learned to different settings.
- Student-faculty interactions or the degree to which students interacted with faculty inside and outside the classroom.
- Opportunities for enriching educational experiences or the degree to which students engaged in curricular and co-curricular activities beyond classroom instruction. It also measures the extent to which students report exposure to different ideals and cultures other than their own.
- Supportive environment or a measure of diversity, engagement, and inclusiveness.
Values at or above 100% in the table below (the University's goal) show that reported student satisfaction is higher at Western than peer institutions.
Western has moved to a multiyear administration given the stability of responses over time.
Fiscal Years 2010 to 2013
|Number of Sections||4,974||4,993||4,977||4,845|
|Percent of Classes Less Than 30||81.6%||82.6%||82.7%||82.6%|
Quad Cities Campus
|Number of Sections||588||554||529||557|
|Percent of Classes Less Than 30||94.9%||96.6%||97.7%||96.4%|
*Governors State University did not report data
|Illinois Public University Subset||15:1||12:1||16:1||19:1|
|All Illinois Public Universities||15:1||12:1||16:1||19:1|
|College of Charleston||16:1|
|Sam Houston State||23:1|
Quad Cities Benchmarks
|Western Illinois-Quad Cities||12:1|
|University of Baltimore||19:1|
|Illinois Public Universities Subset||6%||5%||6%||7%|
|All Illinois Public Universities||6%||2%||6%||10%|
*Governors State University and Chicago State University did not report data.
Benchmark of Alumni Donations
|Sam Houston State||8%|
|College of Charleston||7%|
|Western Illinois University||6%|