Welcome New Students!
Welcome! At Western Illinois University, we challenge you to take advantage of the premier undergraduate opportunities and resources available. You will experience a true residential campus, a dynamic student activities program, and first-rate faculty who will challenge your mind and test your assumptions. You will be encouraged not only to answer questions, but to continually seek new information and challenge your current way of thinking. At Western Illinois University, you will have the chance to explore new opportunities, make life-long friendships, serve your school and community, and celebrate your discoveries, joys, and triumphs! Let the learning begin!
June 3-4 (Fri./Sat.)
June 7-8 (Tue./Wed.)
June 10-11 (Fri./Sat.)
June 14-15 (Tue./Wed.)
June 16-17 (Thur./Fri.)
June 20-21 (Mon./Tue.)
June 23-24 (Thur./Fri.)
July 8-9 (Fri./Sat.)
Tentative Summer Orientation Schedule
Program Overview for Student and Family/Guest
- Students are required to stay overnight in the residence hall and will be paired with another new student.
- Families/guests have an option of staying overnight in the residence hall or making their own arrangements to stay off campus. Families will be assigned to their own room. See the Fees page for details.
- Overnight Lodging check-in will begin at 4:00pm in the Corbin/Olson residence hall. **Check-in here first**
- Program check-in will begin at 5:00pm in the University Union. **Be sure to eat prior to program check-in**
- Program will end on day two around 4 p.m.
- Breakfast and Lunch on day two are provided.
- Dinner on Day 1 is ON YOUR OWN and participants should plan to eat prior to check-in**. On-campus dining will be available until 6:00 p.m. It is CASH ONLY.
Schedule Overview for Student and Family/Guest
- Overnight Lodging Check-in begins at 4:00pm in the Corbin/Olson residence hall.
- Program Check-in begins at 5:00pm in the University Union.
- Welcome begins at 6:30pm in the Grand Ballroom, in the University Union.
- Exploring Campus begins at 7:00pm. - STUDENTS ONLY
- Your College Student's Journey begins at 7:00pm in the Grand Ballroom, in the University Union. - FAMILY/GUESTS ONLY
- Evening at the Rec begins at 9:00pm in the Spencer Student Recreation Center. - STUDENTS ONLY
- Evening Social begins at 7:45pm in the Lamoine Room, in the University Union. - FAMILY/GUESTS ONLY
- Residence Hall doors lock at 11:30pm .
- Breakfast begins at 7:00am in the Corbin/Olson Dining Center.
- Honors Breakfast begins at 7:15am in the Corbin/Olson Dining Center.
- Foreign Language Placement Testing begins at 8:00am. - STUDENTS ONLY
- Financial Aid Session at 8:00am
- Small Group Time begins at 9:00am. - STUDENTS ONLY
- Concurrent Sessions begin at 9:00am in the University Union. - FAMILY/GUESTS ONLY
- Financial Aid
- Office of Public Safety
- Beu Health Center
- Office of Student Activities
- Study Abroad
- uTech - University Technology
- Career Development Center
- University Counseling Center
- Major/Program Meeting Dismissal begins at 10:30am in the Grand Ballroom, in the University Union.
- Major/Program Meeting begins at 11:00am.
- Lunch begins at 11:30am in Corbin/Olson Dining Center.
- Pre-Registration begins at 11:30am. - STUDENTS ONLY
- Inside Edition begins at 1:00pm in the Grand Ballroom, in the University Union. - FAMILY/GUESTS ONLY
- Campus Tours (Walking or Virtual) begin at 1:30pm from the Grand Ballroom, in the University Union. - FAMILY/GUESTS ONLY
- Resources and Opportunities at Western Fair begins at 1:30pm in the Brattain Lounge, in the University Union.
**The ending time varies by student. It depends upon how much time they need to register for fall classes. The estimated end time for the entirety of the program is 4:00pm. A full agenda will be provided at program check-in.
- Meet with academic advisors
- Register for fall classes
- Learn about campus resources and services
- Receive WIU student ID card
- Experience life in a residence hall environment
- Interact with other students
- Become familiar with academic and advising processes
- Attend family orientation sessions
- Learn about how to adjust to common transition issues faced by students and families
- Gather information about campus resources and services
- Meet other family members and share common experiences
Sherman Hall 115
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone: (309) 298-3157
Fax: (309) 298-3111
SOAR 2016 Dates
- June 3 - 4 (Fri/Sat)
- June 7 - 8 (Tue/Wed)
- June 10 - 11 (Fri/Sat)
- June 14 - 15 (Tue/Wed)
- June 16 - 17 (Thur/Fri)
- June 20 - 21 (Mon/Tue)
- June 23 - 24 (Thur/Fri)
- July 8 - 9 (Fri/Sat)