Paperwork Required for Hiring Students
Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9)
I-9 form must be completed online. Select WIUP Production and use your MVS userid and password to logon. Type EI9F in Display to start the electronic I-9 process.
All students employed are required to complete an Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) to establish eligibility for employment. Employers and students MUST complete the electronic I-9 form BEFORE a student may begin working for the first time at Western. The employer signing the I-9 form must be a civil service, administrative, or faculty employee of WIU.
It is the responsibility of the employer to verify eligibility by checking either one document in List A or one of each in B and C. The lists are accessible in drop down menus or by clicking the List of Acceptable Documents on the electronic I-9. The I-9 form must be completed and dated NO LATER THAN the first date of employment.
All students hired must complete the paper Ethics Form. Student hired at the beginning of the academic year must also complete the online Ethics Training.
The department is responsible for completing the online Student Employment Authorization Form following the procedures and training provided by the Student Employment Office. To enable completion of processing during the pay period, authorizations must be processed by the last working day of a pay period. This will generally be Friday.
If the student is only to be paid once, a Student Extra Help Payment can be processed online. Student Extra Help Payments can only be used for Regular Student Employment, not Federal Work-Study. Student Extra Help Payments follow the same deadlines and pay periods as Student Employment Authorizations. An electronic time card will not be issued.
Students may view their authorization and pay information on STARS under Employee Inquiry.
It is recommended the student be sent to the Payroll Office (Sherman 221) on the first working day to fill out tax forms. If a student does not fill out tax forms, the maximum amount of taxes will be taken out of the paychecks. IRS regulations require that FICA (Social Security) tax be withheld for students who are enrolled less than half-time. Students enrolled half-time or more during spring and fall semesters are now exempt from FICA withholdings. During the summer term, students are exempt from FICA withholdings if enrolled half-time (3 hours).
- Policy Statement on Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Working on Campus
- Federal Work-Study vs. Regular Student Employment
- Guideline for Conducting Interviews
- Paperwork Required for Hiring Students
- Information for WIU Employers Hiring Non-U.S. Student Workers
- Student Employee Job Levels
- Online Time Card Information
- Terminating Student Employment
- Payroll Reports
- Western Illinois University's Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- Western Illinois University Anti-Harassment Policy
- Western Illinois University's Drug-Free Work Place Policy Statement
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy
- Western Illinois University Employment of Individuals with Disabilities Policy
- Western Illinois University Safety Policy