Student Development Office

Procedure For Appealing Late Total University Withdrawal

Student Development and Success Center (SDSC) will consider undergraduate student appeals for a late total University withdrawal when a student has experienced extenuating circumstances beyond their control and can provide documentation. Appeals should provide the following:

  1. A letter from the student requesting the total University withdrawal with a thorough explanation as to why the request is being made and why the withdrawal was not made by the University deadline. The letter should include the student's ID number, mailing address, and the semester and year in which the student wishes to totally withdraw.
  2. Documentation of the reason for the student's appeal should be attached to the letter of appeal. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain and attach all documentation as well as provide written releases to the appropriate offices. Documentation from a health care provider should be sent directly from that office or agency.
  3. The student letter and supporting documentation should be sent to Student Development and Success Center, 125 Memorial Hall. Faxes may be sent to (309) 298-2361.

Types Of Documentation

  1. Death - a copy of the death notice, obituary, death certificate, or funeral bulletin.
  2. Illness or accident - written verification from the doctor on office letterhead, hospital bills, copies of medical bills, or accident reports.
  3. Personal - verification from the counselor, medical associate, or supportive facility verifying dates attended/treated and/or comments they feel comfortable making; letter from employer regarding changes in job responsibilities, work hours, position, or position change.
  4. Legal - copies of proceedings, verification from attorney, police reports, etc.
  5. Judicial - copies of letters concerning hearings, statement from the Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Retention Initiatives, or a statement from the Office of Public Safety (OPS) reports.
  6. Military - copy of orders for annual training, summer camps, etc.

Important Notes

  1. If you are currently enrolled, continue to attend class until you have been notified of the resolution of your request for a late total University withdrawal. Do not assume your appeal will be approved.
  2. It is recommended you contact SDSC to insure all documentation has been received as it is your responsibility for the file to be complete before the appeal is heard.
  3. SDSC meets every week after the last day to totally withdraw from the University when school is in session.
  4. If the term has ended, appeals should be sent to and will be heard by the Council on Admission, Graduation, and Academic Standards (CAGAS) in care of the Office of the Registrar, Sherman Hall 110.

Contact Info

Student Development and Success Center
Memorial 125
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455

Phone: (309) 298-1884
Fax: (309) 298-2361