Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Student Development and Orientation
Smoking/Tobacco Use Policy
The State of Illinois enacted Public Act 095-0017 which restricts smoking on all state properties. This policy incorporates the requirements of Public Act 095-0017.
Smoking is prohibited in all facilities at Western Illinois University:
- Inside all buildings/facilities, to include stadiums, gymnasiums, or other similar places where the general public may assemble;
- Inside University vehicles
- Within a distance of 25 feet from building entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited.
Smoking Receptacles will be removed from any area where smoking is prohibited in compliance with the new state law.
The use of smokeless tobacco is also prohibited where student activities and/or learning takes place. This includes: classrooms, laboratories, libraries, and facilities where student conferences and meetings occur. Included are University vehicles when students are present. Smokeless tobacco is further prohibited inside all buildings/facilities, to include stadiums, gymnasiums, or other similar places where the general public may assemble.
Definition of Smoking
The carrying, smoking, burning, inhaling, or exhaling of any type of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other smoking equipment, whether filled with tobacco or any other type of substance.
Definition of Smokeless Tobacco Products
Smokeless tobacco consists of the use of snuff, chewing tobacco, smokeless pouches, or other forms of loose leaf tobacco.
Smoking Related Complaints
Smoking related complaints should be directed to the building representatives. In cases in which deliberate and continual violation of this policy occurs, complaints should be forwarded to the Vice President for Administrative Services, Sherman Hall 200. Complaints referencing students should be forwarded to Student Judicial Programs, Seal Hall. Action will be taken by the applicable unit.
The University will allow employees to attend clinics to quit smoking during regular working hours. The employee may elect to use sick or vacation leave time. Further information about employee assistance programs (EAP) to quit smoking may be obtained at the Human Resources Office, Sherman Hall 105.
- How to Use This Handbook
- WIU - Quad Cities
- Academic Assistance
- Academic Programs
- People, Places, and Services
- Academic Calendar
Organizations And Activities
- Student Organization Center
- Major Governing Organizations
- Programming Organizations
- Honorary Organizations
- Intercollegiate Athletics
- Performing & Visual Arts Opportunities
Policies And Procedures
- Code of Student Conduct
- Governing Board Statement on Disruption
- Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- Policy on Services for Students with Disabilities
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- Policy Statement on Sexual Assault
- Policy on Nondiscrimination and Reasonable Accommodation of Student's Religious Observances
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy
- Smoking/Tobacco Use Policy
- Policy on Access to and Release of Student Information
- Administrative Withdrawal Procedure
- Scheduling of University Facilities
- Scheduling Procedures
- Policy Concerning the Scheduling and Use of Western Hall
- Regulations Governing the Appearance of Off-Campus Speakers Invited by Recognized Student and Faculty Groups
- Administration of Bond Revenue Buildings
- Policy Governing Major Student Organizations
- Grades and Class Attendance
- Grade Appeal Policy
- Student Academic Integrity Policy
- University Fundraising and Gift Guidelines
- Trademark Licensing Program
- Immunization Requirement
- Other Policies