Office of Student Activities
Promotion: Integrated Marketing Using the WIU Web
This guide can help your student organization use the resources available on the WIU web to market your organization and events. Source: Heather McMeekan, WIU Web Services.
Writing for the Web - The Basics
Basic info submitted should include times, dates, locations, and contact info. Think who, what, when, where, why, and links for more info.
Whenever possible, items should be visually scannable, avoiding long paragraphs of text.
Additionally, info should include:
- names of students, guests, alumni, faculty and staff involved as appropriate
- supporting departments, offices, agencies, organizations
- sponsoring info requirements
- whether or not event is open to the public
- quotes from planners and participants
Web-Based Marketing Resources Available to Student Organizations
Spotlights (Must be sent at least 1 month in advance of event)
Process: As soon as you have a set date for your event, you can submit a request to have that date reserved for a spotlight. This is why it is crucial to pick dates well in advance, especially for annual events.
- If you would like your program or event to be considered for a spotlight, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (309) 298-1287 for more info.
- Spotlights drive traffic to departmental webpages greatly increasing visibility
- Spotlight spaces are HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Most spotlights are assigned 4-6 weeks in advance. Please note: last minute requests are unlikely to find available space.
Public Events Calendar (Webcal)
Please Note: Most users will look at an item they are interested in ONCE. Descriptions left blank, 'tba,' or with only partial information may not be revisited.
It's better to submit only when all information is available. If you don't have all the relevant information, do NOT put it on the public events calendar.
- Process: Anyone may submit an event for possible inclusion onto the public events calendar by using the public events submission screen.
All departments and organizations may request their own calendar by sending a request to email@example.com.
- Followed by greatest possible audience
- Capability of being ‘shared’ via social media (viral marketing)
- Social media & mobile aggregating grabs (at least) name of event, date, description.
- Helps seed web search engines to rank names, departments, events higher in search engines
- Items entered into the calendar are used in 'feeds' and displayed to targeted audiences throughout the web
- Basic info submitted for events should be written using names of faculty, staff, students, & their specialties; as well as programs.
- Relevant keywords should be in copy as much as possible to help push info up in search engine returns
Questions? Contact Web Services, (309) 298-1287 or send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Releases - Unews (University Relations News)
- Content disseminated to applicable news and media outlets
- RSS (Real Simple Syndication) compatible
- Greatly increases chances of news coverage
- Helps create ‘archival history’ of events
- Promotes faculty, staff, student, department names, specialties as ‘keywords’ that seed, promote, and display these in search engines
- Content backed up regularly and recoverable if necessary
Social Media Tips
- Every department, major, and academic support area can have a 'page'
- Ideally, pages should be updated once every two weeks
- Creates a potentially viral "breadcrumb trail" that can drive traffic to WIU websites
- Creates networking opportunities for current students
- Helps seed 'search engine recognition' for vanity searches for alumni seeking jobs
- Show the love to your volunteers by NAMING THEM on your Facebook pages - that helps increase the reach of the message and increases the potential group of members for next semester.
- Provides "breadcrumb trails" to link back for more info
- RAPID communication
- Helps seed search engines, social media with relevant WIU keywords
- Assume public can view all messages so write with that in mind
- Encourages collaboration
Once The Event Details Are Set
- Submit event to the online calendar (Webcal)
Request a News Release (University Relations)
- Submit Campus Connection Request
- Ask for Facebook Mention (& twitter!)
- University Page
- College Page
- Department Page
- 'Like' your own mentions...and share your members mentions!
- Submit Info for Western News (U Relations)
- Request a Spotlight (Web Services)