Western Illinois University: Macomb Campus
Web Tools and Search Bar
Student Assistance & Parent Service Center
Parents and Family Association
Welcome to the Parents and Family Association. Now that your student is enrolled at WIU you are a member of the WIU Parents and Family Association. The Parents and Family Association (PFA) is a dynamic membership organization that forms a vital link between parents, students, and the University. The mission of the PFA is to promote communication and interaction between Western Illinois University and the parents and family members of WIU students. Along with the enhanced communication, the PFA also provides scholarships, planned events, and partnerships to help parents through their student's college experience. All Parents and Family members of WIU students are automatically enrolled in the PFA. To effectively communicate with parents and family members we need your current email address. You may submit at email@example.com with your student's first and last name or ID number.Parents and Family members can upgrade to a PFA Gold membership for $20, and receive extra benefits.
PFA Member Benefits
- Scholarship opportunity for eligible WIU students of PFA members.
- Receive electronic PFA Newsletters each term that will keep you updated about developments at WIU, as well as resources and services for your student.
- Fall Newsletter
- Spring Newsletter
- Increased knowledge of and involvement with cultural and campus events and activities.
- Opportunities to network with other parents and family members of WIU students.
- Student Assistance & Parent Service Center serves as a consistent resource for information and referral.
- Enhanced communication through: newsletters, email communications, and PFA socials.
PFA Gold Member Benefits
- PFA Gold receive all the benefits of a PFA Member plus...
- First release of the Union Hotel rooms for Dads' Weekend and Moms' Weekend events.
- A choice of either two WIU-PFA t-shirts or one WIU fleece blanket.
- PFA Gold directory.
- Annual copy of the WIU handbook with academic calender including important dates and events on campus.
- An additional scholarship opportunity.
- Enhance communication between parents and family members of Western Illinois University students and the University administration.
- Improve student educational opportunity through funding of the PFA Scholarship.
- Support the mission of Western through the promotion of educational and cultural programs, activities, and opportunities.
- Promote and support networking with Western Illinois University administrators, student affairs professionals, alumni, and other critical stakeholders.
- Foster collaboration and social interaction among parents and family members, student organizations, and University officials.
- Provide a support network for parents and family members of Western Illinois University students.
- Develop an informed and invested community for Western Illinois University.
Members of the WIU Parents and Family Association established the WIU Parents and Family Association Scholarship in January 2001. The scholarship has recognized an outstanding freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Western.
Applicants for this WIU PFA scholarship must:
- Have an established WIU GPA of 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average.
- Financial needs will be used in consideration on the selection of recipients, must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Faculty letter of Recommendation.
- Write an essay that answers the following question: Tell us why Western Illinois University was the right choice for you to attend?
Applicants for the WIU PFA Gold scholarship must:
- Must be a PFA Gold member
- Have an established WIU GPA of 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point avereage
- Financial need will be used in consideration on the selection of recipients, must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Faculty letter of Recommendation
- Write an essay that addresses this statement: Western Illinois University has changed my life by....
Applications may be obtained at the Student Assistance and Parent Service Center, University Union, 1st floor or online:
$500 awarded annually in the Spring term for each scholarship
The Scholarship Committee consisting of two staff members from the Division of Student Services and one representative of the WIU Parents and Family Association will select the annual recipient of these scholarship. The name of the recipient(s) will be forwarded to the University Scholarship Office which will process the award.
Send Inquiries To
Student Assistance and Parent Service Center
1 University Circle
University Union, 1st Floor
Macomb, IL 61455-1390
All completed applications, essay and faculty referral must be received by 4:30 PM Wednesday, January 31, 2014.
Two $500.00 scholarships will be given out each January
If you can assist in any way, please fill out a short Volunteer Request Form and a PFA representative will contact you with details on how you can help. Volunteers are always appreciated for the following committees:
- Moms' & Dads' Weekend committee
- Scholarship/fundraising committee
- PFA Socials
- Summer Orientation and Registration Program Volunteers
Tentative Upcoming Events Needing Volunteers:
1. Welcome Programs
February 8, 2014 (Saturday), 12:30-3:30 pm
Tinley Park Convention Center, 18451 Conventions Center Drive, Tinley Park, IL 60477
February 9, 2014 (Sunday), 12:30-3:30 pm
Oak Brook Hills Marriott Resort, 3500 Midwest Road, Oak Brook, IL 60523
February 22, 2014 (Saturday), 12:30-3:30 pm
Hilton Oak Lawn, 9333 S. Cicero Ave., Oak Lawn, IL 60453
February 23, 2014 (Sunday), 12:30-3:30 pm
Chicago Marriott Schaumburg, 50 N. Martingale Rd., Schaumburg, IL 60173
2. Upcoming S.O.A.R Dates
- June 3-4 (Tues/Wed)
- June 6-7 (Fri/Sat)
- June 10-11 (Tue)/Wed)
- June 13-14 (Fri/Sat)
- June 17-18 (Tue/Wed)
- June 23-24 (Mon/Tue)
- June 26-27 (Thur/Fri)
- July 8-9 (Tue/Wed)
- July 10-11 (Thur/Fri)
- July 18-19 (Fri/Sat)
Angel Holmes - firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Bielarski - email@example.com
Advisor: Karolynn Heuer - firstname.lastname@example.org
Advisor: Chad Frederick - email@example.com
Karolynn Heuer, Director
Consistent with Western's strategic plan for "Higher Values in Higher Education", The Parents and Family Association Annual Fund was established in 2007 as a venue for charitable contributions. As a donor, you may choose to give to any one or more important areas- academic excellence, educational opportunities, personal growth, and social responsibility. Specifically, the majority of funds raised through the annual fund PFA's fundraising efforts go towards the following areas:
- Over $30,000 provided in freshman scholarships
- Over $20,000 in textbook assistance
- Over $5,000 available in emergency assistance for students in crisis
- Over $2,500 available in daycare assistance
- Over $25,000 to endow the Dalcamo Leadership Scholarship
- Over $5,600 raised for the new signature clock
- Over $7,500 available in unrestricted funds
- Over $4000 in Veteran Assistance
Since 2007 school year, the Parent Fund through PFA has received contributions surpassing a total of $150,000. The Parent Fund reallocates many dollar raised back directly to students. Other contributions are used for major gifts and are often saved until funding for such purpose is met. Contributions from families like yours make this type of assistance possible. The parent organization is excited and proud of the emerging generosity of Western parents, and has established a new tradition of charitable support that will enhance the educational opportunities for our students.
Stay Involved with the University
As a partner with the University, we hope to help provide more students access to an affordable and a quality educational experience. Keeping this in mind, PFA has set an annual fund raising goal in excess of $65,000 to benefit the students of WIU. We valued your gift last academic year and hope that you will give again. If you would like to learn how you can support our students and contact Karolynn Heuer at
(309) 298-2092 or firstname.lastname@example.org